Yellow spot under chickens butt / belly

Mmsorg

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2021
looking for some help and advice for my speckled Sussex hen. I noticed she was picking some of her feathers under her butt and was missing a good amount. I checked her for mites and treated her using diamtonatiois earth just incase it was mites. But I saw nothing and the rest of her looked a healthy as could be. She’s also still laying and none of my other flock is showing signs of mites.

Can anyone help me figure out what’s going on?

Attachments

• 49093A93-08A8-4D17-BFC2-ADAD421B14A3.jpeg
    49093A93-08A8-4D17-BFC2-ADAD421B14A3.jpeg
    796.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 26C8DCE4-7AD2-4F20-BE26-35950ADD011C.jpeg
    26C8DCE4-7AD2-4F20-BE26-35950ADD011C.jpeg
    574 KB · Views: 8
I would bet real American money that's a feather cyst. You will be required to do minor surgery to release the pus and the ingrown feather shaft. Look at the lump very closely. You will see a slightly darker area. That is where you will make a shallow incision. Then exert very gentle pressure around it and the follicle should pop out. It will look curled. Take a toothpick and coax the follicle to unfold. Then squeeze out any remaining pus and clean well with soap and water or Betadine. Then dab some wound ointment on it.

I would bet real American money that's a feather cyst. You will be required to do minor surgery to release the pus and the ingrown feather shaft. Look at the lump very closely. You will see a slightly darker area. That is where you will make a shallow incision. Then exert very gentle pressure around it and the follicle should pop out. It will look curled. Take a toothpick and coax the follicle to unfold. Then squeeze out any remaining pus and clean well with soap and water or Betadine. Then dab some wound ointment on it.
Thank you so much! That would make sense bc she just finished molting

Back
Top Bottom