Yet another sand/no sand question for my PDX coop and run (with details)

@jonalisa So you never 'clean' up any poops from your run?
Pics would be great here....along with knowing how many birds are contributing.
Will go out there in the morning and take some photos. (Tending a dying hen in my kitchen right now.) We just added fresh sand about 4 weeks ago (because my husband traded it for welding work) but the last time was about 5 years ago. I have 9 hens. We are also in the process of dividing the run to provide an area for 8 new chicks currently in the brooder.

Here are some photos from my phone.
I am putting a link to my dropbox photos so I don't hog this site with photos...
Jonalisa's Coop and run photos (On the right hand side there is a drop-down menu where you can choose Large Grid, to see all photos at once)

I do add tied hay bales to the run in the winter, just to fight boredom, so they can climb on them - so you will see scraps of hay around. Also in some pics, you'll see my attempt to divide the run with framed chicken wire - these were panels we made last year. I used one this year to re-integrate a prolapsed hen back into to the flock...but usually, the hens have access to the run undivided. The run is 12x16 and I only have 9 hens. That said, I really never scoop or clean the run. I also have 8 chicks in the brooder, but one 6 yr old hen breathing her last as I type. The sand works as a desiccant and it really is a non-issue, but I will be happy to update when my flock becomes 16-17.
Anyway, @aart - I have a lot of respect for you and have followed your sage advice on many occasions, over many years. I know you are not a fan of sand. But this works for me and I am happy to share it with you 😘

They said five minutes a day with the litter scooper... That's what I'm hoping for as well.
I did end up going with sand but the chicks aren't quite old enough to move outside yet.

I made a sandbox under the perch as well, so my plan is to scoop that they morning and spend a few minutes scooping the run as well.
Here's my poop board - I use Sweet PDZ instead of sand. It dries up the poop, eliminates ammonia and it is lightweight and easy to scoop. Here at Tractor supply, it's 9.99 for a 25lb bag. This poop board uses 5 bags. I add more periodically about every 3-4 months as they scratch in it or as I scoop away poop with a kitty litter scoop.

Attachments

• 14 Coop interior run side.jpg
    14 Coop interior run side.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 33
I ended up doing several inches of gravel covered by several inches of sand, and so far I am loving it.

I had planned on scooping, but my coop and run houses two mini rex rabbits and four hens, and the rabbits dig so much the gravel and sand are now all interspersed which makes scooping nearly impossible.

The run is 6x12 and it's been only about six weeks, but even after several big rains there is absolutely zero smell. I do also have Sweet PDX that I plan to work in as well. The coop itself I had planned on being sand, but because the bunnies have chosen near the roost to be the place they go to the bathroom, I switched it to several inches of Flock Fresh to absorb the urine.

So far everything is shockingly clean and odor-free. I think part of the benefit of the rabbits is that their constant digging keeps things turned. I do rake the run when I walk in there to fill their holes back in and I'll replace the bedding in the coop when I need to, but what I'm doing is working better than anything else I've tried so far.

Attachments

• PXL_20210425_003527430.jpg
    PXL_20210425_003527430.jpg
    810.4 KB · Views: 32
I ended up doing several inches of gravel covered by several inches of sand, and so far I am loving it.

I had planned on scooping, but my coop and run houses two mini rex rabbits and four hens, and the rabbits dig so much the gravel and sand are now all interspersed which makes scooping nearly impossible.

The run is 6x12 and it's been only about six weeks, but even after several big rains there is absolutely zero smell. I do also have Sweet PDX that I plan to work in as well. The coop itself I had planned on being sand, but because the bunnies have chosen near the roost to be the place they go to the bathroom, I switched it to several inches of Flock Fresh to absorb the urine.

So far everything is shockingly clean and odor-free. I think part of the benefit of the rabbits is that their constant digging keeps things turned. I do rake the run when I walk in there to fill their holes back in and I'll replace the bedding in the coop when I need to, but what I'm doing is working better than anything else I've tried so far.
I have sand in my coop and run as well. We live in waaaaaay-Southern Ohio where it’s always wet and humid. The sand is a blessing as long as you can keep it relatively rain or snow free (our run is mostly covered, all covered in the winter). I use a long-handled wok spider to scoop poop twice a day. Here’s the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZXGLW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love your set up!

I live in Portland, and am currently building my coop and run (I've had chickens several times in the past, but it's been a few years).

The location of my coop is in the front yard next to a place we hang out often, so I'm looking for the cleanest, most fly-free way to keep this coop and run, and I'm willing to put in the daily work to make this happen.

I love the idea of sand, but people are so polarized on it that it makes me nervous, so I'd love some advice on my specific coop and location.

I'm in Portland, so we get a lot of rain during the winter and spring, and we have mild winters. The run will be 12x6, and will house 4 ladies. It will be completely enclosed and covered, with a 1 foot overhang on all sides.

I built a retaining wall with blocks and am laying down several inches of gravel beneath whatever substrate I choose, and I may also dig a French drain around the two higher sides to further help with drainage.

Basically, it should stay almost entirely dry. I've used deep litter in the past, and though I loved it for ease, it had its fair share of odor and flies... Which is why I'm curious about sand. Either way, I'm planning on using sand and sweet coop in a scoopable sand box underneath the roost.

Soooo... what are your thoughts?View attachment 2584685
If the coop is covered and dry, sand works the same as a giant litter box. I use a doggie pooper scooper, so no bending or lifting involved. It is not for people who prefer to let things build up. If you scoop & rake daily, and keep things dry, sand works great.

I use sand in the run, which is covered with a metal roof. Not one regret...maintenance free. I use sand mixed with Sweet PDZ on my coop floor and Sweet PDZ on the poop board. Takes 5 minutes to use a kitty litter scoop to clean the coop. No smell. No flies. I'm in NH.

Same here! We finally settled on sand - maintenance free. So far I've only taken the dirt out (and used it for gardening), and replenished with sand once since we started using sand last October. I have 8 chickens, the run is 8x8x8. They go out during the day to an extended yard, but during the winter months (about 3 months) they mostly stayed in the run all day. They sleep in two different coops at night time - I do scoop out the poops in the coops daily. I also throw weeds and yard wastes into the cubic run occasionally.

The picture below was taken after a few days of heavy rain and we threw yard waste into the run. As you can see the chickens were able to dig holes and enjoyed their sand baths soon after the down pour rain (run was covered by tarp). Some people commented that organic matter + sand + clay dirt makes hard packed ground. Luckily it hasn't happened to us. Perhaps we covered the ground with enough sand! I used 6 bags of 50 lb playsand from home depot.

Attachments

• IMG_9705.jpeg
    IMG_9705.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 21
Here are some photos from my phone.
I am putting a link to my dropbox photos so I don't hog this site with photos...
Jonalisa's Coop and run photos (On the right hand side there is a drop-down menu where you can choose Large Grid, to see all photos at once)

I do add tied hay bales to the run in the winter, just to fight boredom, so they can climb on them - so you will see scraps of hay around. Also in some pics, you'll see my attempt to divide the run with framed chicken wire - these were panels we made last year. I used one this year to re-integrate a prolapsed hen back into to the flock...but usually, the hens have access to the run undivided. The run is 12x16 and I only have 9 hens. That said, I really never scoop or clean the run. I also have 8 chicks in the brooder, but one 6 yr old hen breathing her last as I type. The sand works as a desiccant and it really is a non-issue, but I will be happy to update when my flock becomes 16-17.
Anyway, @aart - I have a lot of respect for you and have followed your sage advice on many occasions, over many years. I know you are not a fan of sand. But this works for me and I am happy to share it with you 😘
love your set up! your chickens look so happy!

I have sand in my coop and run as well. We live in waaaaaay-Southern Ohio where it’s always wet and humid. The sand is a blessing as long as you can keep it relatively rain or snow free (our run is mostly covered, all covered in the winter). I use a long-handled wok spider to scoop poop twice a day. Here’s the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZXGLW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love your set up!

That's a great idea! I use a doggie pooper scooper (swivel bin & rake type) in the run and kitty litter scoop in the coop. I might give the spider a try for those hard to reach spaces in the coop. Right now I rake things forward & sift with the kitty little scoop.

That's a great idea! I use a doggie pooper scooper (swivel bin & rake type) in the run and kitty litter scoop in the coop. I might give the spider a try for those hard to reach spaces in the coop. Right now I rake things forward & sift with the kitty little scoop.
Our poop decks are four feet deep, so it really comes in handy for me!

Back
Top Bottom