Yikes! Large wound on hen.

That is looking loads better....really healthy looking wound, if you know what I mean. Well done as I'm sure it has been a lot of hard work to get it to this stage and still some to go of course.
I'm not familiar with the term VCO. What is it? Are you still using the sugar?

Virgin Coconut Oil. Raw cold pressed coconut oil has antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties. It's also very moisturizing. I was hoping the antimicrobial and anti-fungal would be an extra defense because she has been outside. Yes I've still been sugaring her up. I bring her in right around their bedtime. Catching her in the coop and ready to go to roost is much easier. LOL She's been a mostly cooperative patient.

I was in the coop today and one of my girls was in a nest box. When the others came in she got fussy so I went to calm her and pet her. I felt what I thought must be dried mud on her. So I picked her up to inspect...

I lift her wing and it doesn't seem to bad.

Ok....that's not mud!

When I got her situated and moved her feathers I found this. It's a little bigger then a half dollar. The white looking section is skin. That pink part is her actual meat.

I cleaned it up a bit. I tried to remove the dried up crusted feathers and check the skin around the wound. It's like she's been skinned. I didn't want to get her wet it's getting cold. I put some neosporin on it.

How does this look to anyone else?

She is acting normal. Eating, pooping, I think she layed an egg. My only guess is this is from a hawk attack on 10/12. That seems like a long time but my roosters don't have spurs yet. I don't know what else could have caused this. I lost a girl in the hawk attack and looked everyone over. From the size of the wound I would have thought there would be blood everywhere. I never saw any! I know chickens are tuff but I feel so bad I didn't see this sooner.

TIA for any thoughts on what I should do for her.
I have same thing EXACTLY on of my black australorp girls. Started as a dime size, now half dollar.
Been doing NO PECK (purple lotion) then once took out of pecking zone, put HEN HEALER on her. Switched to VETERICYN POULTRY CARE spray. Starting to get a little better but it really hurts her still. She's laid every couple days since this happened. The other pecked girl got pecked (not same marks) 10x worse and only laid 4 eggs.

I have same thing EXACTLY on of my black australorp girls. Started as a dime size, now half dollar.
Been doing NO PECK (purple lotion) then once took out of pecking zone, put HEN HEALER on her. Switched to VETERICYN POULTRY CARE spray. Starting to get a little better but it really hurts her still. She's laid every couple days since this happened. The other pecked girl got pecked (not same marks) 10x worse and only laid 4 eggs.

With its location on her side under her wing I think a rooster slipped off while mating. Over half my flock is under a year old. The boys are inexperienced. I had a hawk attack almost a month before I found the wound so that could be an option but I'd hate to think she was injured a month before I found it.
The vetericyn spray and sugar treatment is working wonders. I've decided to alternate the vetericyn and VCO. Her bandage was stuck yesterday. I sprayed it to try an wet the bandage to release but I still pulled some. She didn't like that but took it like a champ. She just lays on her side now. I even put a few meal worms in front of her and she gobbled them up without standing up. LOL

Here is the difference between when I started and yesterday. I know it will be a long slow process but I'm not giving up.

With its location on her side under her wing I think a rooster slipped off while mating. Over half my flock is under a year old. The boys are inexperienced. I had a hawk attack almost a month before I found the wound so that could be an option but I'd hate to think she was injured a month before I found it.
The vetericyn spray and sugar treatment is working wonders. I've decided to alternate the vetericyn and VCO. Her bandage was stuck yesterday. I sprayed it to try an wet the bandage to release but I still pulled some. She didn't like that but took it like a champ. She just lays on her side now. I even put a few meal worms in front of her and she gobbled them up without standing up. LOL

Here is the difference between when I started and yesterday. I know it will be a long slow process but I'm not giving up.
lol perhaps. Ours definitely is not that issue (king Titan new home now). It was pecking wound for our girl. It's not so hard so fxing it heals soon

lol perhaps. Ours definitely is not that issue (king Titan new home now). It was pecking wound for our girl. It's not so hard so fxing it heals soon
how's she doing? Our girl is finally started to close up and heal nicely!! The other hurt/ ICU australorp is 100% healed now so I am very hopeful.

Her wound is definitely smaller. At this point I think it's just going to take time. I'll keep treating her. A daily bandage change is still in order. She's been taking it so well. She's young and strong. I'm not going to give up on her.

Her wound is definitely smaller. At this point I think it's just going to take time. I'll keep treating her. A daily bandage change is still in order. She's been taking it so well. She's young and strong. I'm not going to give up on her.
so glad to hear she's doing better. Is she still laying or has she started again? Our girl who was horribly bad hasn't laid in a week and her vent is even dry now! Does that mean she won't lay ever again or when will she again? She's nearly healed up-no infection, no squirming when I clean her up even. I'm just worried.

so glad to hear she's doing better. Is she still laying or has she started again? Our girl who was horribly bad hasn't laid in a week and her vent is even dry now! Does that mean she won't lay ever again or when will she again? She's nearly healed up-no infection, no squirming when I clean her up even. I'm just worried.

I'm pretty sure she layed an egg or two. She's a black copper maran and mine don't lay every day. I've read it's because it takes a little longer to make the eggs so dark. With 3 BCM it's hard to say who layed what egg. It could also be the time of year. I don't supplement light in the coop. I always say I don't lay an egg a day or even an egg a week. If they need a break take a break! LOL
Honestly I think it depends on the hen. I find comb color to be the best indicator. There are several ways people say you can tell if they are laying or have stopped. Check their vent or the bottom of their foot. The foot thing is the skin color. I think it's if the bottom of their foot is pale they are laying and will keep laying. With my current weather everyone's feet are brown with mud color. LOL I honestly don't worry to much about egg production for the eggs themselves. If my girls are happy and healthy I'm good.
Good luck with your girl. I hope she lays again. It could just take some time.

Back
Top Bottom