YIKES..Talk About A Protective Mom

1234duck

Songster
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
Upper Lake, California
Yesterday my daughter and her friend were helping me catch 6 out of 12 ducklings. Their only 5 days old & mommy duck was SOOOO MAD. I never seen anything like it before, she was trying to bite my daughter in the leg & was flying right at us and hissing, mouth open, wings flapping, yelling. She wasn't happy a bit with us. We caught 6 and still have 6 more to catch they are fast & their mom is too. lol ~Julie~

Wifezilla

Positively Ducky
11 Years
Oct 2, 2008
Colorado
Yeah, a good broodie will NOT be happy about you picking up her ducklings. I have one that hates me right now. I sold 3 of her babies and she is now even more protective of her last 3. Can't blame her but still...
tongue.png

desertdarlene

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 4, 2010
San Diego
Sounds like you've got a good mama there! I wish all mothers were that protective of their babies. What a pain, though. Maybe carry a shield, lol. Or, maybe catch and isolate mom and then get the ducklings.

Last edited:

1234duck

Songster
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
Upper Lake, California
lol.. yep I did have a shield, my daughter was my shield. lmao just kidding I had a real large bowl in my hand just to scare her. but i don't look forward to getting the rest of them babies. ~Julie~

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
My muscovy mama is a dinosaur. She attacks, jumps on heads and backs digs her claws into you , draws blood, yanks hair, beats with wings, everything. SHe is awesome lol

Ducksareamazing

Hatching
8 Years
May 26, 2011
I had this happen the first time I tried to take ducklings to sell them. I got around this by taking the eggs and incubating them in an incubator. She gets over it alot faster.

Top Bottom