YO GEORGIANS! :)

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by SeramaSweetie, Jan 13, 2009.

1. mrsdszoo

mrsdszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    I have the new one, and I'm too chicken to take it apart to clean like LTygress does just yet.

2. mrsdszoo

mrsdszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    I know breed plays a big part for me. I had no qualms whatsoever about purchasing rabbits for meat breeder stock; but the old show -bunny bug couldn't be squelched, so I have Mini Rex too. I talk to all the rabbits, and give them treats, pet them, and even name some of the breeders, but I know that some are there for a different purpose than others. I decided early on that our youngest daughter wouldn't have to deal with any weirdness about raising our own food, so she knows that some animals are for eating (meat), some are for eggs, and some are for pets. She's totally ok with that, and I'm totally ok with her exploring her own views on the subject as she gets older. My son will eat home-raised meat, and will help process if I ask, but he doesn't like the smell of processing. My oldest girl won't come near the farm on a processing day or eat the meat, so she has babysitting duty for her sister on those days -and goes meatless when we eat sometimes. we have vegetarian friends and family too, so we are pretty diverse eaters here :)

1 person likes this.
  3. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    AHAHAHAHA! SUCKERS! Silly birds got CAUGHT! HAHA!

The wind actually blew hard enough today to open the gate on the chicken pen (I have NO CLUE what happened to the screws for the new latch I bought, other than "nieces and nephews" so I haven't put it on yet). I got home from work, and here comes Skeeter RUNNING at my car, and even faster when he saw me, ready for his food.

I fed them in the pen. They didn't follow. About four followed, but all hens. I have to get certain roosters in there though, to make the rest easy to catch. So it was a no-go. After freezing and getting drenched, I left them out there.

But I went back out a few minutes ago with four cans of Tuna, opened, and placed in the feed bucket. I made sure while carrying the bucket, to pass really close to ALL of the roosters. Sure enough, I ended up with a trail of birds behind me!

Into the pen I went. All four roosters followed. Hens were already right behind them, and of course, first on the tuna. Only one got left out, and it's a tiny VERY wild bantam hen that likes to hang around my gold polish roo. But he was in the pen, so I'm confident she'll try to roost on the side of it tonight. A few more minutes for darkness to set in, and I'll get her and put her in.

THOSE SUCKERS FELL FOR THE TUNA! MUAHAHAHA!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  4. LTygress

Sep 12, 2012
    Okay, the screen arbor thing came in today. I got one that was more like a tent, and only cost $80. If it will hold, is yet to be seen, BUT...

I was going to set it up in the living room to check it out and make sure everything is okay. Yeah it would take up lots of room, and you wouldn't be able to move around it, but it was just for a moment to make sure nothing was ripped or broken.

Well, turns out the living room is 11 feet across. With furniture, there's even less space. It's okay, I'll set it on the sofa. It'll work.

... Until I saw the label said the arbor is 12x12 and 82 inches high! That's bigger than the d*mn living room! And I'm only 66 inches tall, so it's much taller than me, too!

Yeah okay, as long as the chickens can handle the screen and not tear it up, they'll have A LOT of space! But I can't check it out until it stops RAINING outside, long enough to get the thing set up!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  5. abmaddox1981

abmaddox1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Griffin Georgia
    Goosie eggs are going in the bator tonight!

6. LTygress

Sep 12, 2012
    YAY!!!
    I am subscribed to the goose hatch-a-long thread and found out someone else is expecting her goslings on the same day as mine!

7. abmaddox1981

May 1, 2013
    Griffin Georgia
    I just subscribed as well. Hopefully I get some useful advise.

8. LTygress

Sep 12, 2012
    I'm hoping, wishing, praying that this ibuprofen hurries up and kicks in. I HATE not having dental insurance! I'm about to jab one of my mom's insulin syringes into my gums to see if I can just relieve the d*mn pressure so the pain will go away!

9. LTygress

Sep 12, 2012
    AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
    I got the tracking number on my other sebbie eggs.....

CHECK IT OR NO? CHECK IT OR NO? WHAT DO I DO?!?

10. abmaddox1981

May 1, 2013
    Griffin Georgia
    Check it!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by