YO GEORGIANS! :)

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by SeramaSweetie, Jan 13, 2009.

1. RoboDuck

RoboDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Fingerscrossedsmileydudeemoticonthinghere

edited to add an extra fingerscrossedsmileydudeemoticonthinghere for car's hatch.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. abmaddox1981

abmaddox1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Griffin Georgia
    When you have eggs available, I'd love to get a dozen or so.

3. mrsdszoo

mrsdszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    You can get a ceramic heat emitter at most pet stores that sell reptiles (Petsmart, petco, etc.). Plan to spend a good bit more than you would on a light bulb, but know that they last a really long time. I've had mine for well over 4 years now -it's outlasted 2 lamps and warmed a tortoise, snakes, and now chicks :).

4. mrsdszoo

Oct 19, 2012
    Hi Everybody! I just stopped in to read the chicken news [​IMG], in between house chores and farm chores. (That's a ton of freakin' chores) I am so loving this weather, and that everyone has scurried off to get new fencing, chicken coop bits, etc. I am (still) digging post holes in between cleaning out and de-mousing/disinfecting a coop in preparation for all the little peeps who will move into it soon. Those cats can't get here soon enough; I interrupted a mouse party in the darn coop yesterday! My five eggs from @LTygress have hatched, and I've just got six more BO eggs to go next week. Trying to decide if I'll hatch more or not :). I have a new litter of NZ bunnies in the barn, but I don't know how many because the mom is crazy protective. I'm trying to figure out how to check her babies without getting mauled. There's my big plans for the day -oh, and processing a couple of rabbits if I have time.

Let's all meet back here this evening and compare notes on projects, ok?

1 person likes this.
  5. mrsdszoo

Oct 19, 2012
    Oops, forgot the pic of the chicks from LTygress's eggs:

[​IMG]

@LTygress , one of those black chicks is from the sumatra egg, the other is from the blue egg. One has more white on it's toes than the other. They are still Mr. Zoo's favorotes. The brown chick is from the brown egg (BR/EE), and the two white chicks have the cutest fluffy cheeks. I'm really liking my incubating/hatching set-up; I have had 93-100% hatch rates this spring. this is the homemade bator and the styrofoam LG bator/hatcher:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^^ BEST thing I've EVER built :)

1 person likes this.
  6. mrsdszoo

Oct 19, 2012
    OH, @LingaB , I just thought about the heat emitter and the lamp issue. If you go for the heat emitter, save yourself the hassle of replacing lamps (and risking losing animals when heat goes out without you realizing it since there is no indicator light) and buy the heat lamp that is designed to hold it -it has a black anodized finish on the matal hood, and the recptacle is also ceramic to withstand the higher temp output of the heat emitter. I love mine, and so do the chicks. I use it with a second regular lamp and household bulb for day/night cycles -someday I'll get fancy and put them on one of those programmable timer cords (also at the pet store).

7. swampturkey

swampturkey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    they are doing good. they are really growing, and so far all 10 of them are still alive. i let her keep them to roam on the yard, and are already flying around like little quail lol. i can tell roosters from hens pretty much, and looks like at least 3-4 roosters and 6-7 hens.

8. nuttinfancy

nuttinfancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Ambrose, GA
    Glad to hear they are all doing good! WOW good hatch ratio too. I may have to look you up and get some of them from you after I get my pens finished.[​IMG]

9. Missyktsm

Missyktsm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2013
    Just South of Atlanta
    Sounds good. I want to make sure on the fertility rate before I give them to other people but you can certainly have the first set. :)

10. abmaddox1981

abmaddox1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Griffin Georgia
    Awesome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by