YO GEORGIANS! :)

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by SeramaSweetie, Jan 13, 2009.

1. abmaddox1981

abmaddox1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Griffin Georgia
    @swampturkeyif your hen is still shock, give her luke warm water with honey, sugar, agave or molasses. It'll help with the shock. To get her to take the babies, try putting them somewhere quiet and dim/dark and tuck the chicks under her wings. Keep an eye on her in case she gets aggressive.

2 people like this.
  2. RoboDuck

RoboDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

2 people like this.
  3. abmaddox1981

abmaddox1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Griffin Georgia
    @Coach C depending on what you want them for (meat, eggs, pets or all 3) I'm sure all of us would love to help you choose.

4. Coach C

Coach C Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    Probably eggs and pets. My wife informed me the other day, "there is no way I could eat a chicken out of our backyard" Let's just say she was raised in a concrete jungle so I am working to fix that.

5. mrsdszoo

mrsdszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Hey Coach! Welcome :)

Hmm...advice. Let's see; sleep when the kid sleeps, and get the little critter on a schedule early or you'll be an insomniac in no time. Don't let them sleep in your bed -you'll never get them out. And, one they get even remotely mobile, don't blink ;). Oh wait, did you mean chickens? They're way easier ;) Be careful with hay in your coop; some chickens are prone to eating it and can get impacted crops. No fun -often requires surgery. Have a plan to deal with mud in your coop before it becomes a problem -then share with those of us who didn't and now are paying for it. That's all I've got until I have more coffee.

PS -congrats on the new addition :)

6. GAMarans

GAMarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2014
    Georgia
    Helpful post ... woohoo!

7. GAMarans

GAMarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2014
    Georgia
    Might be worth checking into Easter Egger ... different color eggs possible. Fresh eggs and pretty.

Marans (lots of colors) ... hardy birds in my experience. Large dark brown eggs. Mine lay almost 1 a day, year-round.

RIR seems to be pretty popular and easy to find.

1 person likes this.
  8. RoboDuck

<<<<<<<<< ignored again. Oh how fast the new folks learn.

9. RoboDuck

Later people. I'm going to buy more chickens now. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Coach C

Coach C Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    Awesome information. I will write it down for when i FINALLY get to that stage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by