YO GEORGIANS! :)

So the Cinnamon situation... My neighbors moms dog got her. She has a large bite wound on her back in between where her wings meet. Her skin is basically gone on a portion of her back. She also has a small bite wound at the base of her tail. Not to mention all of the feathers she's lost. The girl isn't going to have many feathers for a long time. We cleaned her wounds with peroxide, then I read you aren't supposed to use peroxide because it kills healthy cells too so I poured warm water over after. Caked neosporin on it for tonight. I will probably just use it for today and tomorrow then I will put something else on. She is walking ok, a little unsteady. I gave her 10ml of electrolyte water, she didn't take it willingly either. I put her in a dog crate on the porch and gave her food that she immediately started eating, and water. I'm thinking she will be ok, but she won't be joining the others until she is fully healed, we definitely fm don't need to create a picking issue when there isn't one. She is not happy about being in the crate... at all. I think I'm going to move her to the big dog crate tomorrow, then maybe Tuesday or Wednesday she can go into the small coop. Always knew there was a reason I kept that thing. Whew! I'm done. Although i feel bad for Sugar now, Peppar is a hopeless Broody and Cinnamon is in a dog crate, so she's basically alone.

That looks like egg white. It's possible someone is laying then eating.

Would they be laying in the middle of the yard and eating it? This spot isn't near tall grass or anything. it's way out in the open. The other spot was under a tree but also completely away from tall grass or the coop. Also they just start laying this week and I collect multiple times a day. Would they have already started with the bad habit? There is no type of yolk or shell around it.

Chickens are confusing.....

WE GOT OUR FIRST EGG!
Ok so we have been getting eggs from our Maran hens that we picked up 2 weeks ago but today we found a shattered egg in the coop, tan, and it has to be from the chicks we had gotten in the start of March from TSC like the ones @valleychicks has! She has been getting eggs for weeks right?

So it could be the speckled sussex, or either of the 2 black sextlinks, or the 2 light Brahmas. It looks like it was layed while the chicken was on a perch and it shattered on the ground and something ate it. We put the rest of the shell in the nest box though. Maybe that will help? LOL Guess we start laying food for them and ouster shells?

Last edited:
OK there are some seriously crazy things going on, on the homestead today! After getting peed on or whatever the heck just happened, we were walking the yard because we didn't get an egg from any of the 3 layers today. Well, i looked in a bit of tall grass against the house and fence and found not one. not 2 but 7, yes 7 eggs! All are very small eggs and I am thinking more than one chicken is laying there. I don't know how long they have been there earlier than Sunday I would think, since the chickens were 18 weeks on Sunday. But since there were 7 eggs I am thinking there is more than one chicken going there to lay. I guess I'll be watching that spot when I let them out in the mornings and see who is doing it. Should I start keeping that chicken locked in the coop until they start laying in the nests? Also can we eat these? they are in tall grass in a mostly shady spot on top of sand. or should i cook them up for the chickens? ....and THEN... after find a pile O' eggs I found this puddle of goo on the ground. With ants swarming it. I found another pile of goo the other day but didn't think anything of it, but now with 2 piles, it must be from my chickens, but what is it. It's clear and sticky/stringy. A bit like egg white. [/quote Are you sure the liquid came from the vent? Some chicks will spit up if you squeeze it's crop after it has had a recent drink. Also, your young chicks probably laid a shell less egg. It often happens with young just starting to lay chickens. It is just an immature system right now. It should correct itself. Make sure you have oyster shell available and that you have switched over to a layer food. To test if the eggs you found are good to eat, fill up a bowl of water. Put one egg in And if it floats to the bottom it is fresh. (There is little air inside) if the top part of the egg is still on the bottom but slightly tilted upwards, eat it right away. Air has started to leak inside. If the egg floats, toss it!

Thanks. I will test out the eggs in the morning. :) Yes. I switched them to layer feed at 18 weeks(Sunday) and was giving them egg shells for a few days until i could get to the store, but today I finally got them some oyster shell out there.

I don't think it was spit up. But I could be wrong. I don't think the first one could have just had a drink because she was out of the fenced in area. She keeps jumping onto the gate and jumping over... for a crooked toed chicken she is good about getting around. Whatever it was, it was warm and gross.

Thanks. I will test out the eggs in the morning. :) Yes. I switched them to layer feed at 18 weeks(Sunday) and was giving them egg shells for a few days until i could get to the store, but today I finally got them some oyster shell out there.

I don't think it was spit up.  But I could be wrong. I don't think the first one could have just had a drink because she was out of the fenced in area. She keeps jumping onto the gate and jumping over... for a crooked toed chicken she is good about getting around. Whatever it was, it was warm and gross.
I will never let my chickens get out of the gate again. Not after what happened today. I would suggest clipping her wings, something could happen if she gets over the fence

Is it normal for a day old Silkie chick to peep constantly just because it is alone? I have the temp right in the brooder, I stuck it's beak in the water a few times so I know it's drinking. I've seen it eat a crumble or two so why is it peeping? 
Could it be because it's lonely? Do you have another chick to put in with it?

I put a dish towel in and like folded dish towel over the babies...I had 3..... when they didnt need lamp I covered cage to keep light out..... butvthe covering thing worked for me

Back
Top Bottom