YO GEORGIANS! :)

Is it normal for a day old Silkie chick to peep constantly just because it is alone? I have the temp right in the brooder, I stuck it's beak in the water a few times so I know it's drinking. I've seen it eat a crumble or two so why is it peeping? 

Chicks are social birds. You should always try to have at least two or three. Right now, try putting a mirrow in front of it.

Chicks are social birds. You should always try to have at least two or three. Right now, try putting a mirrow in front of it.
I do have a mirror in the brooder but it didn't seem to care. The chick hatched early. It's one of our daughter's, her and her husband are out of town this weekend. It wasn't supposed to hatch until next week . the other eggs she set with it are still developing. Maybe there will be another one to hatch tomorrow.

I will never let my chickens get out of the gate again. Not after what happened today. I would suggest clipping her wings, something could happen if she gets over the fence

We let them free range in our back yard that is an acre or so. But our property is 500 feet from the road and our neighbor is an old man that has no animals and owns the 133 acres that surrounds our 2.6 acres. So it's not really to big of a deal if she jumps over. I think they do it to aggravate me so I go outside and let them follow me around and give them treats. Of course I know that anything could happen. I just try not to worry too much.

How is your chicken doing tonight now that it has started resting?

So the Cinnamon situation... My neighbors moms dog got her. She has a large bite wound on her back in between where her wings meet. Her skin is basically gone on a portion of her back. She also has a small bite wound at the base of her tail. Not to mention all of the feathers she's lost. The girl isn't going to have many feathers for a long time. We cleaned her wounds with peroxide, then I read you aren't supposed to use peroxide because it kills healthy cells too so I poured warm water over after. Caked neosporin on it for tonight. I will probably just use it for today and tomorrow then I will put something else on. She is walking ok, a little unsteady. I gave her 10ml of electrolyte water, she didn't take it willingly either. I put her in a dog crate on the porch and gave her food that she immediately started eating, and water. I'm thinking she will be ok, but she won't be joining the others until she is fully healed, we definitely fm don't need to create a picking issue when there isn't one. She is not happy about being in the crate... at all. I think I'm going to move her to the big dog crate tomorrow, then maybe Tuesday or Wednesday she can go into the small coop. Always knew there was a reason I kept that thing. Whew! I'm done. Although i feel bad for Sugar now, Peppar is a hopeless Broody and Cinnamon is in a dog crate, so she's basically alone.

I am so sorry to hear it! Glad you have the small coop for a hospital coop now! Whats the plan with the dog though? I am not an expert but maybe get Blu-Kote on Connamon and a bird anti-bioticfor just in case?

WE GOT OUR FIRST EGG!
Ok so we have been getting eggs from our Maran hens that we picked up 2 weeks ago but today we found a shattered egg in the coop, tan, and it has to be from the chicks we had gotten in the start of March from TSC like the ones @valleychicks has! She has been getting eggs for weeks right?

So it could be the speckled sussex, or either of the 2 black sextlinks, or the 2 light Brahmas. It looks like it was layed while the chicken was on a perch and it shattered on the ground and something ate it. We put the rest of the shell in the nest box though. Maybe that will help? LOL Guess we start laying food for them and ouster shells?
Woo Hoo! It could be one of the Sex-links. We got our first egg on July 1st. As of yesterday we are now getting 3 eggs a day and the hens laying I believe are the two RIR and the Australorp. These are the ones I have seen in the nest boxes. I have yet to see the EE in the nest box. We kept having egg mishaps with no shell or soft shell but they have been on oyster shell and layer feed for a week now. I think I will keep our dummy eggs in the nest boxes for a bit longer as a reminder of where the eggs should be laid.

We let them free range in our back yard that is an acre or so. But our property is 500 feet from the road and our neighbor is an old man that has no animals and owns the 133 acres that surrounds our 2.6 acres. So it's not really to big of a deal if she jumps over. I think they do it to aggravate me so I go outside and let them follow me around and give them treats. Of course I know that anything could happen. I just try not to worry too much.

How is your chicken doing tonight now that it has started resting?

She's doing pretty good. She made it through the night so I think she should be ok. I've seen her eat and drink, she eats like she's never eaten before. I just need to keep the wound cleaned out. I can see flesh, muscle everything. She did not like being in the dog crate so I moved the coop and cleaned it out this morning and put her in.

I am so sorry to hear it! Glad you have the small coop for a hospital coop now! Whats the plan with the dog though? I am not an expert but maybe get Blu-Kote on Connamon and a bird anti-bioticfor just in case? 
it was my neighbors moms dog, she visits occasionally. She got attacked outside the fence but still in my yard. The dog should be on a leash or watched because it has run off before. The neighbors were very apologetic and felt terrible though. What I hate is that we had people working on the house so all of the gates were open and she got out. She is always out and has been jumping for 2 years. We clipped her wings on Wednesday so she can't fly anymore, if her wings weren't clipped, she could have flown back over without any issues but she couldn't. From now on, I will check and make sure all birds are in the backyard before I leave the house. Didn't think about antibiotic, don't have blu kote but my dog vet recommended something blue that I'll get tomorrow.

Last edited:
Why come ain't you people indoors posting on this beautiful day? Don't you know the sun will kill you?

So here's a story for you. RoboJr and I go to the farm this morning to feed the animals. Why did Robo go instead of GAM you might ask yourself. Well it's easy..... I had no choice. GAM abandoned us. Left us high and dry. Went to Virginia. Can you believe that? And for what? Just to go see her daddy. Doesn't she know she has a family to take care of? Oh wait... the story. So anyhow, we get back from feeding. Now GAM made sure to make life as difficult as possible for me before she left. She went away with a GQF 1502 sportsman full of eggs. AND NO INSTRUCTIONS. I did the best I could. I really did. I looked in once a day while I was adding more eggs from the farm. I had to ya know... nobody here to cook them for me. Didn't see any pips so I figured it was all good. So back to today. We get home and RoboJr says he hears a peep. I said no way. He said yes way. I said are you sure it wasn't the dog. He said he was sure. So I told him to get me a flash light. He did. He's a good kid. He even turned it on for me. So I said thank you Helpy Helperton. He said you're welcome and handed me the flashlight. By this time I'm thinking he was right about the noise not being the dog since it was coming from inside the incubator but I looked in anyway just to be sure. And there it was. I couldn't believe it. A chick had been born. A fluffy little yellow chick. So cute. And so happy. Just hanging there by it's neck. It had zipped the top of the egg off that was standing upright in the tray. It had then climbed out. And promptly (I'm assuming) fell through the hole next door. Now how its body went through the hole but the head didn't is something of wonder. But there it was sure as the sun will kill you just hanging around. So I tried to unstuck him. There was no room to work inside the incubator so I tried to pull out the tray. It was hard because the eggs were just the teensiest it too tall to clear the other rack. Did you know if you put just the right pressure on just the right spot of an egg that's been incubating it will POP like a balloon? It will. Try it if you don't believe me. But anyway, I was successful in my chick rescuing efforts. The chick came out none the worse for the wear. And he was already dry so I didn't get any icky stuff on my hands. I named him Wan Hung Lo.

The End.

I'm going back out to take my chances with the sun now.

Back
Top Bottom