YO GEORGIANS! :)

Jack, what do you think about those pluckers made from a pvc endcap, rubber tie-down straps, a threaded steel rod, and powered by a heavy-duty drill?
I've never tried one. Had a friend that used one and he had trouble with trying to not let the bird get beat up or pulled out of his hand. If you're only doing a few, then I guess it's better than hand plucking.
But, the Whiz-bang plucker is great. You're handy enough tot build one, but with the sale price at CnM I don't think you could buy all the parts needed and beat their price right now.

Thanks Jack. I can see that if you're processing a lot of birds, the Whiz-Bang wins hands down. It seems to also be a bit safer because you just drop the bird(s) in and let the plucker do its thing. Whereas with the drill plucker, you have to handle the bird while it's being placed by the machine.

As for the CnM pluckers, they seem very reasonably priced, and they look to be well-built. I noticed that they even have a small plucker just for quail for under $200.

Thanks Jack. I can see that if you're processing a lot of birds, the Whiz-Bang wins hands down. It seems to also be a bit safer because you just drop the bird(s) in and let the plucker do its thing. Whereas with the drill plucker, you have to handle the bird while it's being placed by the machine.

As for the CnM pluckers, they seem very reasonably priced, and they look to be well-built. I noticed that they even have a small plucker just for quail for under $200.
Yeah, with the drum style pluckers you can drop 2 or 3 birds in at a time. Or a 40 lb turkey. Younger birds, Cornish X and BBW turkeys come out pretty clean. Older chickens still have some hand picking to do since their feathers are just harder to get out.
I saw that quail plucker but I think it would just slow me down. The way I do it now is just 5-7 minutes per bird and that's from crate to cooler. It is a great price though. But I'm okay with cooking skinless quail.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom