YO GEORGIANS! :)

Would anyone be interested in a RIR rooster, just over a year old? He is a very good protector of his flock, but a little too aggressive towards me. He minds my husband, I just don't have the guts to walk right out and pick him up before he gets any ideas. We just discovered our new silkie/cochin is a rooster (Sir Sylvia started crowing yesterday at 6 weeks old!!). I hear those breeds are much more docile and smaller roosters... so I think we will try him out and rehome old Richard Parker (the RIR).

Or if you don't want a rooster but have a good source of rehoming rooster I am all ears!! I'm in Atlanta.

Well guys. Day 23.. Nothing
sad.png

I'm so sick.

I wish I could help. Sorry to hear about this. :(

I've got a little rooster who is absolutely beautiful and I wanted to ask you guys if you knew of a particular breed and whatnot, but he is an absolute terror. He's a pain in the butt, but I have to find a way to handle him. Any suggestions?

I've got a little rooster who is absolutely beautiful and I wanted to ask you guys if you knew of a particular breed and whatnot, but he is an absolute terror. He's a pain in the butt, but I have to find a way to handle him. Any suggestions?
What exactly makes him hard to handle? Does he attack you, or does he just run from you?

He attacks when you go to get eggs and what not, I've never even attempted to pick him up because of that.

When he attacks, grab the back of his neck (or his entire neck, since we're human and our hands are bigger than a rooster's mouth) and pin him to the ground until he stops fighting it. That's a rooster's own way of saying "I'm dominate" over his hen's, so use it on him. If you ever see two roosters fight, they try to grab the back of each other's necks to pin each other down like that. In between kicking, that is.

By the way, the very first time you try it, you may have to do it a few times in a row. You might release him, and he might go back to kicking. So pin him down again. Once he starts to avoid you, then you've won that battle, and you'll have to wait for another day to see if he attacks again.

Once you get him to stop attacking, then you can try picking him up (he'll try to get away) and give him treats while he's in your hands (like mealworms) once he calms down for a moment.

By the way, the very first time you try it, you may have to do it a few times in a row. You might release him, and he might go back to kicking. So pin him down again. Once he starts to avoid you, then you've won that battle, and you'll have to wait for another day to see if he attacks again.

Once you get him to stop attacking, then you can try picking him up (he'll try to get away) and give him treats while he's in your hands (like mealworms) once he calms down for a moment.
Awesome I'll have to try that tomorrow. I'm pretty sure he's just the run of the mill American Game bantam but I think he's absolutely lovely. Though somehow none of our hens have ever made anymore like him. :(

Roboduck, I need you and GAM to come back up and visit. My Wheaten Marans laid 5 eggs and has stopped again. What is with some of these birds? I understand the ones who were broody (only one of the four has restarted laying eggs again) and I understand the ones who molted, but I have some YOUNG hens who laid like 5 eggs and haven't laid again for 4-6 weeks! Of the 25 hens who lay eggs, I am only getting like 11 -12 a day. I was getting at least 18. I just don't know what to think of all these hens not laying. Neither of my white egg layers has laid an egg in two weeks. They are all between 9 months and 2 years old. Any suggestions? I make sure they have plenty of water. Are we giving them too many leftovers? Could they have worms? How would I know about that.....never had a problem before so don't know how to check. No mites/lice. All have nice bright red combs. I did switch there food. I tried some flock raiser, but then changed again. Got a higher quality feed this time. The other thing is that we now have them behind a fence and there is not much green stuff left there. So I give them grass clipping and cabbage and whatever else green I come across. Do you think they are still upset over being fenced? It's been about a month now.

On another note, I am thrilled with my 5 new hatchlings. I think they may all be girls. (Maybe one boy) But, they are all the darker egg layers, Olives and Chocolate colors. They are getting really pretty already. I also have 8 Welsummer pullets that are 3 weeks old. I am going to keep 2 and sell the others. I guess I will put the add on Craiglist next week when they are 1 month old. My mind is constantly going over the hatch I want to do next month! Can't wait!

I might be interested in your Welsummer Pullets. I have a 3 month old boy and he needs some girls. If I decide to keep him.

Back
Top Bottom