YO GEORGIANS! :)

Well, I did it again. I upset my hens! I let the two Moms loose with 10 babies in the coop/yard! Needless to say, I only got 7 eggs today! 6 of them BEFORE I let the babies into the coop. Those Moms ran out any chickens, juveniles and hens alike, of the coop! Nobody could get to the nest boxes. I walked the area and none of the others laid in the yard either. Hopefully, things will settle down soon!

Arg! I give up! Maybe I dreamed that someone said they gave their chickens yogurt to help make the egg shells harder. :confused:
sorry, 12 days late, but that was me. I had a chicken that just wouldn't lay a hard shelled egg even with free oyster shell and grit. So I was at publix and they had 20 for $5 yogurt and I thought maybe it would work. I gave her yogurt for 20 days and her egg shells got harder. I eventually got to where I only gave her yogurt about once a week.

Der ... didn't even think of looking there.

She's acting like she's drunk.  When she can stumble her way to the food and water she is still eating and drinking.  No eggs in about a week, though.  Color is still good.  Just can't seem to stand right and/or balance.  

I had one do that when she was molting a few falls ago. Freaked me out

Well I was right about the molt; it looks like a feather bomb went off in my barn.  The ladies don't have tails anymore, it's so funny to see them.
I got back from a trip and checked on the girls late that night, and then I went down the next morning. I freaked because it looked like a chicken exploded. After having Cinnamon attacked in June, I was nervous nelly trying to figure out what happened. I put 2 and 2 together and figured out the reason she hadn't been laying was because she was molting. It is September, not quite molting time, but sat least she should be cooler.

poor Sugar

Can any wise Georgia chicken owners give me an idea of what to expect this winter in terms of laying? My 9 girls are 20 1/2 weeks old and I think I've got 5 laying (but not daily). I've been reading that they don't lay during the winter, but wondered if that's across the board or if it was different in different parts of the country. Also, why did I get 5 eggs on Sunday
but only 1 egg yesterday??? I'm impatient, ha!

Electric Slide (Ellie) died. I guess the "drunk" act was one of the bad reasons.

But Indie, our miniature horse, just had her baby. And we will be getting new silkies, frizzles and sizzles (eggs) from papabrooder.

Now I am going back to sleep.
I'm sorry for your loss, but excited about a new baby mini horse. Can you post a pic? My kids would love to see that!

Back
Top Bottom