YO GEORGIANS! :)

Thought I would share my two newest additions! Thanks Ross for the eggs and chick we adore them!

Last edited:
I had modern game bantams, mille fleur d'uccle, showgirl, cochin, jersey giants, naked necks all in one coop together and once the pecking order was established everyone did fine together.

Alright everyone. Ya'll didn't hear this from me but if you're the type to enjoy chickens and you also enjoy shopping at your local TSC keep your ears to the ground. Some new information will soon be surfacing that could benefit you.

Good morning! My husband and I have been stalking BYC for well over a year now, and I am finally setting up an account! We have found such great information here to help us get started with chickens.

My husband turned a used Rubbermaid-style shed into a coop (it's large - about 11x7?), and some chain-link fencing from an old dog run into a chicken run (approximately 12x24?). We safeguarded the bottom half of the chain-link with some sturdy cattle fencing, and covered the top of the run with two layers of bird netting. Half of the run is also covered with a heavy-duty tarp to protect from the heavy rain we get here.

We got six girls back in May of this year at about six weeks old from a reputable breeder, but one appears to actually be a roo!

Here is what we have:

Golden Laced Wyandotte (most likely a roo)
Buff Orpington
Black Astralorpe
Barred Rock
Light Brahma
Easter Egger

Nobody is laying yet, but we know it's going to be happening soon!

I have been checking out the threads, but it's so easy to get lost down the rabbit hole, lol! Here is my very first question (let me know if I should post this question elsewhere):

What can we expect with breeding if we decide to let some hatch, if/when that time comes?

Thanks so much!
~Mandy (transplanted to northern Georgia from SLC, UT in August of 2014)
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Hey yall, haven't been on here in awhile but we now have 10 chicks that arrived June 24!! They've been moved outside to the smaller coop for now but for some reason 9 have decided that sleeping on the ground at night is better than the coop. Only 1 goes in on her own. I end up having to go down there and put them in bed.. 10 nights in a row now. Any ideas as to why they aren't going in to the coop on their own?

Hey yall, haven't been on here in awhile but we now have 10 chicks that arrived June 24!! They've been moved outside to the smaller coop for now but for some reason 9 have decided that sleeping on the ground at night is better than the coop. Only 1 goes in on her own. I end up having to go down there and put them in bed.. 10 nights in a row now. Any ideas as to why they aren't going in to the coop on their own?

Welcome to BYC! I've been there myself and still am at the moment. I had two girls that loved to roost in the trees as opposed to in the coop. I had two girls that preferred to sleep behind the coop on the ground. I broke those habits by putting them in every night.

And now I have 5 girls who would rather sleep on top of the coop just to make sure I have extra cleaning to do. Apparently, with all my current critters, I don't have enough to do according to them.

Continue putting them up and eventually, they'll get it. We use the term bird-brains for a reason. lol!

Back
Top Bottom