YO GEORGIANS! :)

I'd love some tiny blue eggs, never thought of that, let me know!! I think the difference is Araucanas are pure bread and the Amer's are considered mutts

No. Actually, Ameraucanas and Araucanas are true breeds. The Easter Eggers are mixes of both of these breeds with other breeds. The EE is NOT a breed. They are considered mixes. A breed is when all chicks hatched from the parents look just like the parents. So, if you have true white Ameraucanas, ALL the chicks should be white and look identical to the parents. Same, for Buff Orpingtons, ALL the chicks should be buff colored and have all the characteristics of that breed. Same with all true breeds. Now, take the EE, if you breed them, they will hatch all different colors. See what I am saying? A true breed will always breed true. The exception is when you are dealing with Blue/black/splash types of coloring . Such as the Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. They come in a black, blue or splash version, but any of those are "true to their breed". Anyway, As stated in above response, Araucanas are rumples. Did this help anyone?

Forgive me for barging in, I live in NC and read this thread now and then, but I just have to answer this. The bantams do lay little blue eggs. Araucanas and Ameraucanas are recognized by the APA and therefore purebred breeds. Araucanas are tailless and have tuffs on their cheeks. Ameraucanas have tails, muffs and beards and come in only specified colors. They both lay blue eggs. Easter Eggers are not recognized, therefore may be mutts, and come in any color or pattern. They lay almost any color egg including blue, green and brown in many different shades. A special kind of EE is the Olive Egger which ideally lays a dark olive egg. They're all fun to raise and some, like the OE can be quite a challenge. Hope this helps.
Kathleen

X2! I answered this, too, but you worded it so much better than I did! Thanks! You should come on here all the time! We have a great time!

I am wanting to put a rooster in with my hens. Does anyone know of a good place to get a cream legbar rooster? My girls are about 10 months old. Should I try to get a rooster around that age or a little older? Would a younger Roo have trouble with my "alpha" hen, or would she get in line behind if he wasn't way younger? This will be my first roo (I have only had my hens about 3 months) so I am a little nervous. Does anyone have experience with the cream legbar roosters? Are they noisy, good temperament? I know every breed has their good and bad apples, just looking in general. I am in South East Ga, so I don't really want to travel too far if I can help it...

Rocky Rhodes has CCL, but he lives in Blue Ridge in NW GA mountains. If you are still interested, PM me and I will give you his number.

Hey, first post here from Cumming. Really wish i posted when i first found this site because this past weekend my coop/run was wrecked and raided. Unfortunately there were no survivors :( so it may be a while before i have anything else to post but i just wanted you guys to know that i love reading along with you guys and that all this talk of genetics really gets my nerd up.

Hey, first post here from Cumming. Really wish i posted when i first found this site because this past weekend my coop/run was wrecked and raided. Unfortunately there were no survivors :( so it may be a while before i have anything else to post but i just wanted you guys to know that i love reading along with you guys and that all this talk of genetics really gets my nerd up.

Oh no! What happened? Raided and wreaked by animal or human? If you want chickens, just let us know. We may can help you.

True Araucanas have no tail bone, so no rump. They are rumples. Some have tuffs (not muffs. Muffs are the beards that EEs and Ameraucanas have). However, the genes for tuffs are usually a death sentence for chicks and about 80% of chicks with tuffs will die in the shell durning hatching. Very hard to hatch. Anyway, they should all lay blue eggs. Since the blue egg gene is dominate over white, you could get blue egg layers by mating white with blue. (Make sure they have no hidden genes, such as an EE, The EE could be laying a blue egg, but be carrying a recessive white gene.. Bw(Dominate blue with recessive white) = blue eggs, but if you have Bw and mix with a ww you would only have 25% of getting a blue egg laying hen. Birds like the Legbar or the Ameraucana or the Araucana would all have BB genes. Yes, bantams can lay blue eggs. I have a bantam Frizzled NN who lays a tiny olive green egg!
I love her I want one sooooooo cute, so glad you two have this gene thing down

Well the prime suspect is one of the neighborhood dogs decided that he wanted a taste of fresh chicken. But i find it odd that a dog would leave nothing but feathers and rip holes in 2 sides of their pen big enough for me to crawl through.

Back
Top Bottom