YO GEORGIANS! :)

Why, if I can ask? Is it a guy thing or something else? I've castrated pigs and goats and the pig one was pretty unpleasant. I figure chickens would be similar.

No, if you get the wrong thing you end up taking out lung, or really messing up the bird resulting in death. I hope you reconsider it.

No, if you get the wrong thing you end up taking out lung, or really messing up the bird resulting in death. I hope you reconsider it.
Well I was only thinking about it because I have an ugly rooster whom I don't want to breed but I like. So it's give him away to someone who will probably eat him, eat him, or try caponing which may or may not lead to death. I thought it'd be the best option. Maybe my school would like to neuter a bird and then he'd be in a vet environment.

And with pigs you can pull out their intestines, leading to death. That's why I was comparing it. I had a piglet with a hernia, but luckily the intestines didn't come out, just filled the sack. He's still alive a year later, growing a little slow but that's it.

IMG_7205.JPG
IMG_7206.JPG
IMG_7207.JPG
Thank you for your input please find out about the new spray and let me know. Where do I get oxine?

Here is what the spray looks like. We ended up using a different sprayer because we wanted it more portable. We do the coop, goat house and around the yards.

If there would be any way I could help you transition back to the other house, just let me know; I have a flatbed truck and am fairly handy with hammer and nails. I am serious.
Thanks, Ron, but we should be able to move back just fine. I've had a couple of other folks offer to help as well, and the offers are appreciated.

We're all burning the candle at both ends right now trying to prep the old house to move everything back into it. Hopefully we'll be all moved in by the end of next weekend.

The biggest problem I have is that we have a major water leak somewhere along the water supply line to the house, and it has been a bear trying to find the exact location of the break. It's about a 200' run from the meter to the house, and I'm seriously thinking of just running a new line. The old line is about 30 years old and is Schedule 40 PVC. The line is a straight shot, and I could probably trench and lay a new line in about a day if it were not for a packed gravel driveway in which I have to go under. I dread that part of the job.

Thank you I was at TSC today but they hardly carry anything for chickens. I will order it on line or drive the 30 miles to Thomson to.the other TSC they carry more stuff for chickens.
Hey Sue, if you want to knock down flies and mosquitoes, Bayer Tempo Ultra WP is a good product that is safe to use around chickens and breaks down quickly in the environment. It's a organic cyruthrin-based compound, similar to pyrethin found naturally in chrysanthemums. Here a URL to a label PDF file for the product: http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/msds/Tempo Ultra WP Label.pdf

I have an unopened 14.8 oz (420 gram) canister with 10-gram scoop that I bought earlier this year but I no longer need. If you check online, it runs about $65 - $75 per canister, but I'll sell you mine for $50. You mix one or two scoops (10 or 20 grams) into a one-gallon pump sprayer. It's an excellent product for quick knockdown of flies and mosquitoes. Usually you only need to use it once, but you can use a second application in about two weeks. It's very toxic to fish and insects (including bees), but it's safe to use with poultry, goats, pigs, and cattle.

For long-term fly control, garden lime (not slaked!) sprinkled in the chicken runs and coops will lower the pH and prevent fly larvae (maggots) from developing, and garden lime is perfectly safe for your birds. A 50# sack is $3 at TSC, so it's super cheap.

Anyway, PM me if you're interested.

Back
Top Bottom