YO GEORGIANS! :)

So ever since I got my digital scale, I've been obsessed with weighing my eggs. I now sell them in small, 43-49.99 grams, medium, 50-56.99 grams, and (large, 57- 63.99, extra large, 64-70.99 grams, jumbo, over 71 grams) cartons. Well, someone is laying huge double yokers. One was 91.34 grams and the other was 93.58 grams. Then, I got a huge duck egg.... over 101 grams! Ouch!!!

Keep at it, you'll get there. :) I'm just joshin' you. This egg was from one of my Golden Sex Links which are my first ever birds. They've laid some whoppers for me, but they're already starting to burn out I guess. My production is starting to drastically fall off and they've been laying just over a year starting 7/30/16. If I had an egg business I might have a few sex links to bolster production, but from now on I'm going with heritage birds to get maybe fewer eggs, but for a longer period. By the time you feed chicks until they start laying and then feed them as their production falls off (assuming you don't eat them when it immediately starts falling off), with your time involved I think the sex links are not as "cost efficient" as other birds for their short laying period. Anyway, that's my 2 cents with my short, 6 bird history of raising chickens. :thumbsup
Egg 105g.jpg

I don't think I weighed this one, but it was pretty huge too. It was laid around last Thanksgiving and with football season in full swing and it being so oblong, I drew some laces on it. :)
Egg Football.jpg

With both of those, I bet those girls were not singing an egg song, they were yelling an egg OH MY GOD GET THIS THING OUT OF ME!!!!!! LOL

Keep at it, you'll get there. :) I'm just joshin' you. This egg was from one of my Golden Sex Links which are my first ever birds. They've laid some whoppers for me, but they're already starting to burn out I guess. My production is starting to drastically fall off and they've been laying just over a year starting 7/30/16. If I had an egg business I might have a few sex links to bolster production, but from now on I'm going with heritage birds to get maybe fewer eggs, but for a longer period. By the time you feed chicks until they start laying and then feed them as their production falls off (assuming you don't eat them when it immediately starts falling off), with your time involved I think the sex links are not as "cost efficient" as other birds for their short laying period. Anyway, that's my 2 cents with my short, 6 bird history of raising chickens. :thumbsupView attachment 1151173
Im not sure exactly how big my duck egg was, my little scale only went to 101 grams and then says overload!

How many different breads do people have those of you that are regularly on this thread? I'm trying.to decide what to keep and what to let go. Other than the Silkies I have several different.breads in the Bantum and layer coops. I have Astrolorps, ISAs, Orpington, and a Barred Rock n the layer pen. In the Bantum pen are.my Silky Bramah mixes some oegbs a few Cochins and a couple of my Porcelin D'Uccles. In another pen I have a SFH and a Islandic that my sister gave me before she moved. We are.aabout to build a.better pen for.my Silkies with wenter.comming on. There not going anywhere and I have two broodies on Silkie and frizzle eggs. I about to downsize I have someone that is interested in all my mixes. They used to have 50 chickens but some dogs got to them so they built a bigger and better coop for replacements.

Back
Top Bottom