YO GEORGIANS! :)

Used to be on here years ago. I’m in West Dawsonville near Amicalola Falls State Park. I have way too many chicks and young pullets I need to find homes for! Most are colored egg layers. From 2weeks to 3 months old. Possibly some laying hens, too.

To bad you aren't closer to Savannah! There are soooo many people just getting started with their little flocks and started pullets are a huge plus.

anyone interested in a BSL male? Looks like I received a BSL male in with my Black Australorp female order. He is around 5 days old. I don't mind keeping him until he is off heat.
PM me if interested

Oh you all have expanded while I have been gone for 3+ weeks. I just was so busy after my mom passed and I trade seeds at several seed trading sites on FB and right now everyone wants to trade for the spring growing season! And...this rain is about to drive me crazy with the constant cleaning out of the coops because the 14 chickens have had to be locked up a lot. Locked up means POOP everywhere inside. Arghhhhh

Welcome all you NEWBIES!!!

The Newnan Show is this weekend and since it is the Southeastern Silkie Nationals it will be a show to come see. I will be working the table on Saturday from 9am-11am so please come by and introduce yourself and say HI. I am not showing but I am watching and learning. I am hoping to pick up a splash pullet from breeder Bobbi Porto. She is bringing a bunch of Juvi's with her for sale. There will be TONS of breeds there for sale as this show also includes water fowl. My husband and I will be at the Silkie Social which will be held on Friday night at 5pm-10pm at the Ramada Inn. I hope to see you all there.

For those who don't know me...my name is Cindy and I live in Covington, GA. I have silkies, a couple of frizzles, 2 MilleFluer D'uccles, a Old English Game Bantam, and a Bantam White Rock (roo which I will be selling as I have no mates for him and he keeps going after my 2 white silkie's fluffy butts, lol). This is only my first year of being a chicken mama. My husband is very crafty and built me my chicken coop, run, and an add on because I keep...adding on
lau.gif

This is my Chicken Church Coop because my chickens are righteous! This picture doesn't show the Parsonage added on the end of the run. We need to build another coop...maybe a General Store would be fun.

I feed my chickens organic feed and they free range in my backyard all day long. I have a friend who sell the organic feed and she lives in Walnut Grove (Walton Cty.) off of Hwy 81. If any of you are interested and live around this area PM me and I will give you her contact info. Layer runs $35 a bag and Grower is $37. I also give my birds on occasion; yogurt, meal worms, cooked sweet potato, cooked squash, pumpkin, rice, and oatmeal. I try to only give them healthy things as I want to eat their healthy eggs. My chickens will not eat my leafy left overs!!! What's with that??? I thought they were garbage disposals but mine must be pampered chefs
gig.gif

Anyway...as I ramble on, and on...you can see 3 weeks is too long for me to be away. Hope to see you at the show this weekend!
Are you within the city limits? I am moving to the area in November. And I'm trying to find all the information I can ablut having animals. Are their any local facebook community pages?

I am moving to the Savannah area in August/September. Does anyone have a recommendation for a realtor that is familiar with rural property in that area?

Honey Joe Senter is loved by many, last I checked she was with Rawls Realty but it has been some time since I talked to her last. She's also a renowned masseuse if you have tension after viewing property. lol!

What chicken breeds do you all recommend for Georgia? My weather in Wyoming is quite a bit different, so I need to make some hard decisions about which chickens come with me.

I bought an assortment of hens and roosters this year (not planning to move!). I even ended up with a bantam Cochin rooster 😂 so what do you recommend? Can a pea combed chicken take the heat? What about feathered legs?

What chicken breeds do you all recommend for Georgia? My weather in Wyoming is quite a bit different, so I need to make some hard decisions about which chickens come with me.

I bought an assortment of hens and roosters this year (not planning to move!). I even ended up with a bantam Cochin rooster 😂 so what do you recommend? Can a pea combed chicken take the heat? What about feathered legs?

I have all of the above. I have pea combed chickens, fat fluffy English Orpingtons & Wyandottes, feather foot Marans, and I've had a bantam Cochin that was 7 years old before a hawk got her.

The trick to keeping any chickens here is to give them access to a lot of shade and lots of water out of direct sunlight. I built my coop and enclosed run under the shade of a tree and their extended run is also half trees and bushes. My experience has been that trees and plant life will keep your coop cooler than any man-made shade structure, so keep that in mind when selecting a location for your coop. Winters are easy peasy and it will never get cold enough here to have a concern for your chickens. It's all about ventilation and keeping them cool in the summer. I even provide large dog bowls of water that I have found them standing in to cool off. Lol

6-1-20.jpg

I'm moving back down to Georgia from Washington and have to move my ducks too ^^; I started a thread about it but was referred back here. I'm gonna be in an area near Mauk, does anyone there have ducks/advice about keeping them? I'm just worried they'll suffer because of the heat and lack of forage on the new place.

Back
Top Bottom