YO GEORGIANS! :)

Anyone in the Douglasville (W Atlanta) area have a rooster they're looking to rehome? Ours was killed by a neighbor's pit bull. :( (He was such a good boy, too - great with people and so protective of his girls, he managed to keep all of them safe even when he lost his life.)
Oh, I am so sad to read of this. By now I hope you are doing a bit better and were able to find a roo.

I'm moving back down to Georgia from Washington and have to move my ducks too ^^; I started a thread about it but was referred back here. I'm gonna be in an area near Mauk, does anyone there have ducks/advice about keeping them? I'm just worried they'll suffer because of the heat and lack of forage on the new place.
How exciting. How did you move go; and your chicken shopping? I had not heard of Mauk so looked it up. I'll bet you are going to have a swell life.

I have all of the above. I have pea combed chickens, fat fluffy English Orpingtons & Wyandottes, feather foot Marans, and I've had a bantam Cochin that was 7 years old before a hawk got her.

The trick to keeping any chickens here is to give them access to a lot of shade and lots of water out of direct sunlight. I built my coop and enclosed run under the shade of a tree and their extended run is also half trees and bushes. My experience has been that trees and plant life will keep your coop cooler than any man-made shade structure, so keep that in mind when selecting a location for your coop. Winters are easy peasy and it will never get cold enough here to have a concern for your chickens. It's all about ventilation and keeping them cool in the summer. I even provide large dog bowls of water that I have found them standing in to cool off. Lol

View attachment 2765520
So helpful, especially about the coop under natural bushes vs. a manmade way to shade them. Thank you.

Anyone in the Douglasville (W Atlanta) area have a rooster they're looking to rehome? Ours was killed by a neighbor's pit bull. :( (He was such a good boy, too - great with people and so protective of his girls, he managed to keep all of them safe even when he lost his life.)
If you are still looking for a rooster, I am north west of Savannah and I have this half buff Orpington, half cream Legbar rooster. He was hatched in May. He has been really great with our hens and people.

Attachments

• E467BF18-FCB8-42B7-819C-B36BC96F977E.jpeg
    E467BF18-FCB8-42B7-819C-B36BC96F977E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
How exciting. How did you move go; and your chicken shopping? I had not heard of Mauk so looked it up. I'll bet you are going to have a swell life.
move went well, thanks for asking! we ended up giving most of our ducks away and only Mymble, my jumbo, made the trip, but she has a young pekin drake who was also alone as a friend now.
I'm actually about to get a brooder set up soon, and afterwards i'll be getting ~25 baby chicks/ducklings shipped to me. can't wait to start rebuilding the flock, new and improved!!

First of all I am so sorry about your boy! I have 3 roosters looking for a new coop and flock to protect. There is a French Lavender Marans (1 year old), a Blue Marans (1 1/2 year old), and a White Legbar (1 1/2 year old). I would like the Blue Marans and White Legbar to stay together because they are "brothers". I have tried separating them and they call not stop for one another. They have all been hand raised and are good boys. I am in the Calhoun, GA area about an hour north of you I believe.

Anybody on BYC live in Georgia?
I'm gonna make a list of Georgians below! Let's get the LONGEST list possible! Each name counts one point, and mods or staff are worth 5 points!

Georgians' names collected so far:
1. SeramaSweetie
2. Pumpkinpup
3. porteryork
4. rooster-red
5. jonbanks
6. Chix-in-GA
7. mazdacrzy
8. Missouri chick
9. bantyman
10. 1acrefarm
11. EggCentric