Yogurt as a chicks first treat- noone likes it?

I make my own cottage cheese and you can do the same for your chickens. It costs a whole lot less than buying it as the store and I like the taste of fresh made so much better.

In a large pot combine 6-cups of fresh water and 3-cups of powdered milk. Stir to dissolve. Heat the milk over a medium flame until it is very warm, about 120°. This is hot to the touch, but not scalding.

Stir in 1/2-cup of plain white vinegar. Allow to stand for 10 minutes. There should be a large mass of curds in an amber pool of whey. If the liquid is still milky, add another 1/4-cup of vinegar. Stir and stand again for 10 minutes. Line a strainer with two or three layers of cheese cloth and drain off the whey. The whey can be used as the liquid in bread, muffins or biscuits.

Rinse the curds under cool water and store in the fridge. This recipe makes about 1-1/2 to 2-cups of curds.

The dry cheese curds from the above recipe will work for ricotta cheese in most recipes. To turn it into cottage cheese add a little whole milk or my favorite…half and half.

Wow Betty, that is pretty cool! I never knew how cottage cheese was made. I'm going to print that off to keep. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
tea.gif

I tried the yogurt on a colored lid today and mixed in so much of their food that it was just a slightly chunkier crumble. I put it on a nice red lid and left it for hours. No takers. I think I have weird chickens though. This afternoon it really warmed up so they got to have some more outside time. My Mom was over visiting and her and my daughter dug up and earth worm and some grub worms and threw in with the chicks. They wouldn't touch those either. One chick did peck at the eathworm and then promptly spit it out and ran away. Another stepped on it and then a funny little dance like she had stepped in something bad.
idunno.gif

These are all cochin girls. I have joked about how they are froo-froo chickens with all their pretty fluff and have taken to calling them my expensive yard art. DH is even building them a posh place complete with a little front porch and window boxes that is costing way more than a chickens home should. Little did I know how prissy they really were.
lau.gif

Lea,

Your welcome, I use the powdered milk because it’s cheap and you can keep it on hand all the time and stir some up at a moment’s notice.

We are a 30 minute drive from the nearest grocery store and if I’m making a recipe that calls for Ricotta cheese or cottage cheese and I don’t have any I can stir some up in a few minutes and have it there fresh. I also love cottage cheese and tomatoes in the summer time when the tomato crop is in full swing.

Sounds like you have a bunch of prissy pants chicks. I had a dog like that once, she was a standard poodle, she was beautiful and she knew it. We named her Prissy and she lived up to her name and then some.

I would love to see some pictures of your girls and their new house.
Betty

Back
Top Bottom