YOGURT AS PART OF TREATMENT AGAINST INTENSE COCCI INFECTIONS

@centrarchid you might want to take a serious look at putting unpasteurized appple cider vinegar in all your bird's drinking water and feeding them fermented feed. Both of these things are said to "help" prevent cocci.

I may give the apple product a shot next year but only on some birds. Greater effort on first round will be with the yogurt business to see if effect is real. Promoting feed intake in weak birds is generally a plus for speeding recovery.

I may give the apple product a shot next year but only on some birds.  Greater effort on first round will be with the yogurt business to see if effect is real.  Promoting feed intake in weak birds is generally a plus for speeding recovery.

I feed my birds fermented feed and they really like it a lot. If I happen to run out and give them regular dry feed they are not happy about it at all. I bet your setup would be ideal for a test on fermented feed versus plain dry feed. With the majority of your birds free range, do you get to collect many eggs for eating?

I raised my last set of chicks on fermented feed - well actually a hen raised them.

When they developed cocci a week ago, I locked them in their hoop-house and used Amprol (treatment level) in the water - and the same treated water to make the fermented feed.

They love the fermented and gobble it up.

I lost one bird at the start of the outbreak (out of 30) but I know several others were infected.

I'm gonna switch them to half dose tomorrow and let them free-range again.

Last edited:
I raised my last set of chicks on fermented feed - well actually a hen raised them.

When they developed cocci a week ago, I locked them in their hoop-house and used Amprol (treatment level) in the water - and the same treated water to make the fermented feed.

They love the fermented and gobble it up.

I lost one bird at the start of the outbreak (out of 30) but I know several others were infected.

I'm gonna switch them to half dose tomorrow and let them free-range again.

It seems like there have been a lot of cocci outbreaks this year. I don't know about everywhere else but here where I am it has been hot and very humid and rained A LOT!

It seems like there have been a lot of cocci outbreaks this year. I don't know about everywhere else but here where I am it has been hot and very humid and rained A LOT!

Yup - this is the first year my chicks got it. I had one adult with cocci late last year.

I think there is value in making the food more palatable with yogurt or fermented feed along and having meds in the feed AND water to treat an outbreak. Both have pro-biotics to boot.

I have not been a fan of medicated feed, but I think I'll put the chicks on a preventative dose next time. At least in the water.

Last edited:
I have trouble realizing control when ground is very wet even when using medicated feed. That often requires use of big guns in water. Birds not being fed feed seem to have little trouble even when ground is wet.

Yup - this is the first year my chicks got it. I had one adult with cocci late last year.

I think there is value in making the food more palatable with yogurt or fermented feed along and having meds in the feed AND water to treat an outbreak. Both have pro-biotics to boot.

I have not been a fan of medicated feed, but I think I'll put the chicks on a preventative dose next time. At least in the water. 

I am not a fan of medicated feed eith but you gotta do what you gotta do to keep your birds healthy. I have read that the only "medication" that is in medicated starter/grower is the same as in Corid which iis just a thiamin blocker. The parasite has to have thiamin to live and Corid and the medicated feed blocks the thiamin.

Back
Top Bottom