Yolk color. Pe

DebStuc

Hatching
Mar 29, 2021
I love to eat eggs and am somewhat of a connoisseur and find that only dark yolks have a deeper richer flavor. From what I'm reading, I'm learning that chickens need to have greens (alfalfa) and veggies (squash) in their diet to produce better eggs. This makes sense as mainly corn is not a balanced diet. It's cheap and easy to feed but it's it enough?

I love to eat eggs and am somewhat of a connoisseur and find that only dark yolks have a deeper richer flavor. From what I'm reading, I'm learning that chickens need to have greens (alfalfa) and veggies (squash) in their diet to produce better eggs. This makes sense as mainly corn is not a balanced diet. It's cheap and easy to feed but it's it enough?
no corn is not enough, they will die. they need layer pellets and treats can only be 10 percent of their diet

Straight corn isn't a complete balanced ration. Give them layer feed or all flock with added calcium on the side and grit.

And yes, things like greens (the darker the better), squash, and pumpkin will help give darker yolks.

I'm learning that chickens need to have greens (alfalfa) and veggies (squash) in their diet to produce better eggs.
Yes, these do add color to the yolk.
I give my chickens Alfalfa during the winter season when grass and weeds are scarce or covered in snow.
I let my chickens out of their pen an hour before sunset daily, weather permitting. They also find insects, worms and grubs, which add flavor and color.
I also look for feed with added Marigold. The feed I like also has Kelp.
20210330_123157.jpg

I notice a difference in yolk color if I buy a feed without either. GC

Yes, these do add color to the yolk.
I give my chickens Alfalfa during the winter season when grass and weeds are scarce or covered in snow.
I let my chickens out of their pen an hour before sunset daily, weather permitting. They also find insects, worms and grubs, which add flavor and color.
I also look for feed with added Marigold. The feed I like also has Kelp. View attachment 2591781
I notice a difference in yolk color if I buy a feed without either. GC
What's the redacted part? Also, I think the chicks would like marigold or calendula flowers. I may give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom