Yolk coming out of egg after pipping

littlels

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 27, 2011
I have an egg that pipped this morning and now it is about a dime size hole. I noticed about a half hour ago that something was leaking out of the egg. I didn't think too much of it until I went back the next time and it was all over the paper towel and it was yellow. It looks to be the yolk.

Did the chick pip through the yolk? I have noticed that it is slowly getting quieter and hasn't progressed with zipping. I guess I'm assuming that this chick is not going to make it even if it does hatch because it was unable to absorb the yolk....am I correct in this?

It can take 24-36 hours from pip to hatch. I have had some take that long but never had any where yellow leaked out like that.

hopefully someone else will jump on here.

Good Luck!
fl.gif

Yeah, I've hatched hundreds of eggs but never had the yolk running out like that. I just checked on it again a little bit ago and it is dead. I can see it's beak and part of its head. I figured that would happen, but I'm still interested to know why the yolk was coming out like that.

I hate to say this but I doubt that chick will make it. I had that happen a few times last season. then an old old man told me what I was doing wrong. I was following directions and maintained my humidity religiously. you will probably have several that will go to the last day and never hatch out. the bottom line is they are drowning in the shell. (They are supposed to fill their bellies with the yolk before they hatch but cant after they fill their bellies with the water). When the humidity is held too strictly you have a few that don't make it. IF you let the humidity drop down to the 20-30% range before adding more water to the incubator your hatch rate will increase drastically. that was the only thing I changed this year and I had 3 hatches I thought was going to go perfect ( 14of16, 19of20, 19of20). and the last one finally did (20 of 20). I may be a crazy babbling excentric maniac. and you don't have to listen to what I said. but I promise, you don't have alot to loose by trying it on your next hatch.

Im new to hatching chicks.We had a broody speckle lay and sit on her eggs. She is just 3-5 days out from hatching. This morning we found the nest half ransacked. We saved the eggs we could, washed them, and put them in our incubator. A lil bit later i went to candle them. 1 had pipping, but is seeping yolk. The other is cracked and seeping. I do not remember them being cracked when i washed them. There is also a smell, i just dont know which ones of the 10 we saved are suspect. I dont want a mess in my incubator, i have other eggs in there 3-5 days away from hatching that I do not want compromised. Is seeping ok? Are those eggs dead? What should I do? Thank you.

normal?

Never mind. I did even more digging and got my answer. Chicken chick had an article about bad eggs in an incubator.Any smell is bad. So i took it outside and investigated. There was only yucka in the eggs. No chicks at all! They totally would have exploded! Hope this helps someone else out there.

Back
Top Bottom