yolk popped

rustychick2000

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2015
One of my baby chicks hatched with a little bit of yolk attached. He kept kicking and eventually popped it. He won't stand and is covered in yolk. His fluff is wet looking but hard from the yolk. He looks bad. I don't know what to do PLEASE HELP ASAP.I need to know what to do and I want to do what's best for the chicken.i can post pics if needed

I have another one just like it but it acts like a normal chick and looks like a normal chick except for the yolk sack.

The best thing to do is to wipe off as much of the yolk as possible, and put him in a clean, safe environment. I use a deep coffee mug with a damp paper towel on the bottom. While breaking the yolk often leads to death, it may not IF what is left of the yolk is absorbed into the abdomen without contamination. Antibiotics, vitamins, and water are suggested. Neosporin (not pain-relieving) on the broken yolk sac will help keep it flexible. Did this chick hatch on its own, or was it assisted?

Wipe the fluff as well, the yolk will be painful as he grows and will pull on the fuzz.

I'm not saying you did wrong. You did what you felt you needed to do. If the situation comes up again, if you unwrap the membrane from the head and wing, and lubricate it with non pain-relieving Neosporin, and leave the chick to fight its way out, it may be able to rest and squirm enough to absorb the yolk.

I have a 50-50 success ratio with this issue in the past. The winning 50% still had a hard time of it.

Back
Top Bottom