20201022_140250.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20201022_140530.jpg
    20201022_140530.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 43
  • 20201022_140538.jpg
    20201022_140538.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 38
It's in a cup, I removed the rest of the shell so it would stop kicking at it, I had to grab him to keep him from dragging that mess all over the incubator. It was trying it's damnedest to run right out of the shell.

Attachments

• 20201022_140952.jpg
    20201022_140952.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20201022_140937.jpg
    20201022_140937.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 55
similar things like can happen when people try to 'help' a chick out of the shell too quickly, thats why it takes up to 3 days after pipping for them to emerge, theyre still soaking up that mess ..

similar things like can happen when people try to 'help' a chick out of the shell too quickly, thats why it takes up to 3 days after pipping for them to emerge, theyre still soaking up that mess ..
I'm sure, but no one has touched this incubator since they stated hatching. I've been hovering over it watching them since last night, and I watched this crazy chick pop out myself and then all hell broke loose.

So what do I do? Leave it in the cup and hope it turns out? Or is it not going to make it? What causes this? Why does that chick think it's time to be out when obviously it's not? I did a quick search but couldn't focus enough to get the info I needed.

Wrapped it in a warm damp paper towel, put it in a clean cup, looks like the intestines have gone back in. It's not trying to run around for now, so maybe it will sort it out.

Since I'm here, it's never helpful to try to assign blame when someone is in the middle of an emergency. Maybe just help and talk it out when the emergency is over.

The chick was wing and head out when I noticed the shell was stuck to it, and when I opened the incubator I could hear the membrane crackling. I added a little coconut oil to moisten that area and put it back. While I was putting my oil away and throwing away the qtip I used to apply it the chick loosened the rest of the shell and I was back to the incubator when he pushed out. For a moment I thought all was well until the chick rolled over and I saw part of the yolk sac. I pulled the chick and egg out of the incubator again and realized the yolk sac was completely full and the intestines were hanging out, so I put it back, she'll and yolk intact, and ran to get a cup. When I got back, it was frantically kicking the shell and caught the yolk and busted it. That's when I posted here.

I am assuming there is something wrong with the chick's intestines and it's going to die anyways. It is obviously a strong healthy chick as it had it's footing almost immediately and was already trying to do normal chick things, yet hadn't absorbed the yolk.

Ha
Wrapped it in a warm damp paper towel, put it in a clean cup, looks like the intestines have gone back in. It's not trying to run around for now, so maybe it will sort it out.

Since I'm here, it's never helpful to try to assign blame when someone is in the middle of an emergency. Maybe just help and talk it out when the emergency is over.

The chick was wing and head out when I noticed the shell was stuck to it, and when I opened the incubator I could hear the membrane crackling. I added a little coconut oil to moisten that area and put it back. While I was putting my oil away and throwing away the qtip I used to apply it the chick loosened the rest of the shell and I was back to the incubator when he pushed out. For a moment I thought all was well until the chick rolled over and I saw part of the yolk sac. I pulled the chick and egg out of the incubator again and realized the yolk sac was completely full and the intestines were hanging out, so I put it back, she'll and yolk intact, and ran to get a cup. When I got back, it was frantically kicking the shell and caught the yolk and busted it. That's when I posted here.

I am assuming there is something wrong with the chick's intestines and it's going to die anyways. It is obviously a strong healthy chick as it had it's footing almost immediately and was already trying to do normal chick things, yet hadn't absorbed the yolk.
ve you tried massaging it back into the chick?

Ha

ve you tried massaging it back into the chick?
Since my last update: the chick was in a moist towel in a cup. It wiggled it's way out and I realized what was left of the yolk sac detached from the chick, and most of its intestines had returned to the inside of the chick. I did attempt to return the little bit that was left outside back to the inside with minimal success. I made it a covering so it wouldn't get its toe hooked in the intestines and pull it back out. I'll check on it again in about 30 minutes.

Attachments

• 20201022_154210.jpg
    20201022_154210.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 55
Update: chick still being crazy all over the incubator. Intestines are on the inside enough for me to feel comfortable leaving it unwrapped. The umbilical hole looks bruised, but dry and closing slowly. About 1 cm long and about 2 mm wide.

Back
Top Bottom