You all made a difference!

Yooperducker

Songster
5 Years
Feb 11, 2017
Copper Harbor, MI
I want to thank all of you at BYC for sharing your information so freely. Today you made a difference in the life of a 5 day old Pekin Duckling. I have been eagerly awaiting my 5 ducklings since January and during that time I have looked up as much information as I could and asked question to be ready for the big day.

Given the information you had shared, I had my duckling 'go bag' ready and used everything in it based on 'what-ifs' and what to generally expect. I set out to the post office at 5am to meet the incoming truck.

Well sadly, there was a hitch in shipping and the ducklings were in transit for 5 days and I suspect mishandled along the way and only one survived...barely. I had a small box prepped with a hand towel with hand warmers underneath making things cozy. But first she had to be encouraged to drink the pedialyte i brought with me. She was sooo listless. I think 10 minutes more and she would not have made it. Her eyes were glued shut from dehydration, her beak was crusty at the edges, she barely moved but she was breathing. I had an eyedropper and she eventually took some in. Then a bit more and a bit more. SHe showed some slight movement. She started to peep but it was raspy probably due to the dehydration.

We sat in that parking lot for an hour and a half alternating from pedialyte and water until her peeps got stronger, less raspy and she could stand on her own. I mixed a gruel with her starter feed, water, honey and grit. First I fed her with the eyedropper the liquid from this mix. Then encouraged her to drink/eat from the bowl (I think she kinda liked the eyedropper), which she did.. I gave her a small capful of water with tiny shreds of kale in it which she went for. I got a couple healthy poops out of her. It was an hour back home and she peeped loudly and hopped out of her small box so we rode with me cradling her by my neck where she fell asleep the 15 miles.

Now she is in her brooder bathtub all alone with her stuffed pink pony (so glad I got that). She is exhausted but eats and drinks well when awake then conks out again. The hatchery is sending another order on Monday so she should have buddies next week if all goes well.

I know she is still in the danger zone but her resolve and tenacity to live have earned her the name "SISU", which in FInnish means 'never give up, persevere, tenacity, strength of character'.

Thank you, all of you for answering my sometimes bizarre questions. Thank you for this site. And most of all THANK YOU for being there to equip me with the ability to give SISU her best chance to survive.

One more question I have though is her eyes. I softened up the goo with lukewarm water and gently applied a damp cloth to remove it. Her eyes are still not fully opened but I do not want to irritate them even more. Any recommendations?

I want to thank all of you at BYC for sharing your information so freely. Today you made a difference in the life of a 5 day old Pekin Duckling. I have been eagerly awaiting my 5 ducklings since January and during that time I have looked up as much information as I could and asked question to be ready for the big day.

Given the information you had shared, I had my duckling 'go bag' ready and used everything in it based on 'what-ifs' and what to generally expect.  I set out to the post office at 5am to meet the incoming truck.

Well sadly, there was a hitch in shipping and the ducklings were in transit for 5 days and I suspect mishandled along the way and only one survived...barely. I had a small box prepped with a hand towel with hand warmers underneath making things cozy.  But first she had to be encouraged to drink the pedialyte i brought with me.  She was sooo listless.  I think 10 minutes more and she would not have made it.  Her eyes were glued shut from dehydration, her beak was crusty at the edges, she barely moved but she was breathing.  I had an eyedropper and she eventually took some in.  Then a bit more and a bit more.  SHe showed some slight movement.  She started to peep but it was raspy probably due to the dehydration.  

We sat in that parking lot for an hour and a half alternating from pedialyte and water until her peeps got stronger, less raspy and she could stand on her own.  I mixed a gruel with her starter feed, water, honey and grit.  First I fed her with the eyedropper the liquid from this mix.  Then encouraged her to drink/eat from the bowl (I think she kinda liked the eyedropper), which she did..  I gave her a small capful of water with tiny shreds of kale in it which she went for.  I got a couple healthy poops out of her. It was an hour back home and she peeped loudly and hopped out of her small box so we rode with me cradling her by my neck where she fell asleep the 15 miles.

Now she is in her brooder bathtub all alone with her stuffed pink pony (so glad I got that).  She is exhausted but eats and drinks well when awake then conks out again.  The hatchery is sending another order on Monday so she should have buddies next week if all goes well.

I know she is still in the danger zone but her resolve and tenacity to live have earned her the name "SISU", which in FInnish means 'never give up, persevere, tenacity, strength of character'.  

Thank you, all of you for answering my sometimes bizarre questions.  Thank you for this site.  And most of all THANK YOU for being there to equip me with the ability to give SISU her best chance to survive.

One more question I have though is her eyes.  I softened up the goo with lukewarm water and gently applied a damp cloth to remove it.  Her eyes are still not fully opened but I do not want to irritate them even more.  Any recommendations?

Such an awesome post! Love this site and all it's members too :)

For her eye, go to pet co and get some Vetericyn eye gel. It's for irritated eyes and it should help :)

@Yooperducker , this is such a wonderful post. I'm sorry about your other four ducklings
hugs.gif
. If they had had even a sliver of life left once you got there, I bet you could've nursed the back to health. It was so heartwarming to hear about your little one's recovery. How is she doing?
P.S. I love the name Sisu
love.gif

Thank you. Sisu is doing really well. Eating like crazy. Keeping her on the gruel for the day but sprinkled some dry starter on top here and there. Eat, drink, poop crash is where we are now. She has been running around a bit in the brooder to and climbing her pink pony. I did introduce her to my dog Fern (avatar) who was sleeping in the sun. Sisu snuggled right in and they both slept like that for a bit. Fern had a gentle curiosity about her so I thought it would be okay to try. Not trusting unsupervised though. I do hope she imprints on her. Although it will be good when she gets her new buddies in there with her.

Aww! Fern is adorable! And of course, because she is a ducky, I'm sure that Sisu is too. Both of them together?
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

It's good that Fern is good around Sisu, and also good that you supervise them. I hope she'll warm up to her new buddies. I'm so relieved to hear that she's doing well!

Last edited:
She is cute.  Fern has been great.  I do not want to be over confident until the ducklings become 'large and in charge' but it is a relief that Fern is being respectful.  The brooder is a pretty nice setup but awfully big for one tiny little girl.  It will be good to get her some buddies next week.  Everyone please pray for safe passage.

Will definitely be praying that this time goes smoother.

@Yooperducker , this is such a wonderful post. I'm sorry about your other four ducklings
hugs.gif
. If they had had even a sliver of life left once you got there, I bet you could've nursed the back to health. It was so heartwarming to hear about your little one's recovery. How is she doing?
P.S. I love the name Sisu
love.gif
Thank you. Sisu is doing really well. Eating like crazy. Keeping her on the gruel for the day but sprinkled some dry starter on top here and there. Eat, drink, poop crash is where we are now. She has been running around a bit in the brooder to and climbing her pink pony. I did introduce her to my dog Fern (avatar) who was sleeping in the sun. Sisu snuggled right in and they both slept like that for a bit. Fern had a gentle curiosity about her so I thought it would be okay to try. Not trusting unsupervised though. I do hope she imprints on her. Although it will be good when she gets her new buddies in there with her.

Back
Top Bottom