You can call me Farmer Stephanie

bloom_ss

Songster
8 Years
Jun 23, 2011
Spokane Valley, WA
LOL I just got my mealworm farm set up today and I am soooo excited!!
wee.gif
I know some people get grossed out by bugs and stuff (my husband took one look at the mealworms and said that he never wants to see them again...LOL), but I think it is so neat that I can grow my own healthy treats for my girls and it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to do it.
ya.gif
I know I'm not the first person to do this and I won't be the last, but I am so excited about it that I just HAD to share with someone since my hubby is way less than enthusiastic about it. LOL
yippiechickie.gif

I bought my mealworms from Petco...a bit on the spendy side, but I wanted them today and didn't want to chance shipping with our freezing weather right now.

Thanks to hannakat for the great thread on mealworm farming and for the idea of a three drawer system:
October30th2011001.jpg

The middle drawer is empty at the moment since that will eventually house the smallest of the mealworms.

The top drawer has the largest mealworms in it at the moment:
October30th2011002.jpg

All of the mealworms in the top drawer appear to be in good health and with any luck they should pupate and turn into the beetles and then lay eggs.
smile.png

The bottom drawer has the medium size mealworms in it right now:
October30th2011003.jpg

Some of these worms did not make it...the black ones that you can see in the picture are dead and I will be picking them out shortly. I will also be buying some small worms just so I can have some in all different stages of the life cycle.
smile.png
Thanks everyone for reading and thank all of you who have previously posted about your mealworm farms. Reading your posts has helped me tremendously in creating my own farm!!
smile.png

thumbsup.gif

You make it look easy! I have been thinking about a mealworm farm myself. I am a bit familier with them as my son asked our neighbor if he could have one of his (It was food for his lizard) to "raise"....lol. It was pretty cool watching it go through it's different stages. Now you have my wheels turning! Congrats on your new little farm!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom