WVduckchick

🐓🦆For the Birds!🦆🐓
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Feb 9, 2015
West Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
I think many of us that visit flea markets, yard sales, etc. look at things and think "how can I use that for my birds?" So I would like to see what creative things you have come up with...things you have repurposed for your birds that weren't necessarily meant for any purpose related to them.

Detailed descriptions are good... pictures are great! :D Whatcha got to share?

This isn’t really that outrageous, but I used a yogurt container for a feeder...

I cut three 1”x0.5” rectangles along the bottom and placed it in a shallow Tupperware container. Filled it with feed and let them go at it. Works great, but now that they’re 3 weeks I’m needing to make another!

A6750273-E243-41DA-AEC4-E332E2F0C22A.jpeg

Sorry I guess it’s not really from a flea market...

This isn’t really that outrageous, but I used a yogurt container for a feeder...

I cut three 1”x0.5” rectangles along the bottom and placed it in a shallow Tupperware container. Filled it with feed and let them go at it. Works great, but now that they’re 3 weeks I’m needing to make another!

View attachment 1373332
Sorry I guess it’s not really from a flea market...

:clap The small container will also help keep them from sleeping/pooping in the bigger dish!

And it doesn't have to be flea market stuff, that was just an example. I drove past some homes with trash pickup today and saw an odd shaped box, and thought... I should stop and pick that up! LOL

ETA - beautiful little chick too!! :)

We found an old doghouse at a garage sale and we use it for outback ducks.
CF3E143F-0C36-401E-B819-ABB76AB5CE7E.jpeg
ECB511F5-FC3E-4D41-AC4B-2AE6C37BCB51.jpeg

The ducks love it!!
I think many of us that visit flea markets, yard sales, etc. look at things and think "how can I use that for my birds?" So I would like to see what creative things you have come up with...things you have repurposed for your birds that weren't necessarily meant for any purpose related to them.

Detailed descriptions are good... pictures are great! :D Whatcha got to share?

Omg! This thread is sooo for me!! For water, we mostly just buy hanging cups, but some pens, that isn’t an option. So our easy solution is using milk jugs! We cut out one side, leaving 2-3 inches on the bottom. BAM! Chicken waterer!
For nest boxes, we either use handmade wooden boxes, or a bucket (cat litter box, or other square buckets) But we have 4 pens, breeding pens, that have between 3-7 hens at a time. A small box won’t work. So we take a blue barrel, support it in the corner, on its side off the ground. We cut open the side, and put a large milk crate in the back. Fits plenty of hens at a time! Becuase they love to go lay at the same time, and crowd each other...:lau
I have multiple other repurposed items, just noboictures at the time. I’ll post back later with some pictures!!

We got this old pot to ostensibly cook birds in, but first we wanted to see if they would use it as a nest box. They tried it for a couple days but it didn’t last. It was cute while it lasted, though.
View attachment 1373389

Cool old pot. Maybe fill it with dirt and try as a dust bath?? :D

This mirror began life as a sliding shower door. Initially my head hen Cleo didn't like the looks of the 'newcomer', but that's calmed down and now they all look at themselves. Cracks me up!View attachment 1373500

LOVE IT! :D

Back
Top Bottom