you guys saved Filberts life!

affacat

Crowing
12 Years
May 21, 2011
Oregon (Northwest, Clackamas County)
the wife and i got four baby chicks about two months ago. there are our first chicks ever... all seemed well, then, around 11pm, I checked on them and Filbert, our Ameraucana (see current picture, below) was super lethargic -- practically limp and immobile. After wildly searching on the internet for solutions we came across these forums, and read several threads on what to do.

Ultimately, we did two things: I stayed up all night, and would feed her some liquid from a eyedropper every hour and a half or so -- the mixture was water, a bit of sugar, and a bit of grape flavored electrolyte sports powder i happened to have. NOTE - I don't think the grape flavoring was important, lol. I also did my best to get her to eat some soy yogurt we had in the fridge.

I didn't expect her to survive - she was that lethargic. She'd be limp on my hand, and I'd eyedrop a drip onto the side of her beak. She'd only drink maybe one out of every 5 drops.

She was better by the next afternoon.

Thank you guys so much. And Filbert thanks you too! She's now the runt of the 4 we have... I don't know if that is related, or if she's just smaller than the rest naturally.

Here she is today, cute as a button.

filbert.jpg

Last edited:
I cannot see the photo, but that's okay - I am reacting to the content of the post. I am glad your Filbert survived! What I read between the lines is the sheer love and concern for the ailing chick. That makes my heart swell.

Welcome to BYC and so glad the forums were "there" for you.

You won't be able to post pictures in the BYC forum until you have the required number of post. I don't remember what the
required number of post is.

Do any of you guys know where that information is located?

Thanks guys for all the love. I guess I have to go do 8 more posts after this, then I'll come back and get this one working. I need to do this anyway as I have another post question I need to ask all of you... we're terribly a bit worried that one of our 4 might be a roo... which would put us in violation of the law where we live.

Back
Top Bottom