You know you love your chickens when...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lexielou623, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Fostermomma

Fostermomma New Egg

Jul 20, 2015
    I'm single so had my coop built & had them put the corrugated roof over the whole thing so they wouldn't get wet as well. Also had him build it so I could walk inside. I think he though I was crazy. Heck it's easier to clean as well as sitting with the girls. I can't be bending down or crawling to clean their run. Now I see on his Facebook page he has made 3 more duplicate of mine that are walk in. lol
  2. Daisies

Daisies Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2015
    Portland Oregon
    Aw. That's so cute!
  3. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

You order chinese food to be delivered and decide to get the "Jumbo" size of steamed rice so that you'll have leftovers for the chookies.
    4 people like this.
  4. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2015
    What you mean to say is ' so that there'll be some left for YOU ' [​IMG]
  5. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

Hahaha, no, I'm too greedy for that....
    1 person likes this.
  6. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Flock Master

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    When you spend a sleepless night having discovered your little hen has gone broody UNDER the walk in coop. There is a snow storm coming so you spend half the next day working on getting her stubborn butt out of there. Then you spend the rest of the day looking at hatching eggs online even though you know it is to cold to order any.
  7. Coop de Grass

Coop de Grass Chillin' With My Peeps

Who says its too cold? I just put some under my Buff Orpington after I read several posts here. Besides, you don't want her to become depressed!
  8. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Flock Master

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I do not have a rooster so would have to order eggs. Not sure they would make it shiping with the forecast having us in the single digits overnight for the coming week.

No I do not want her all sad. BUT there is a feed store close by that I know has chicks year round. Last year she rejected chicks. I would think she would be about the same this year.

She tends to be perpetually broody so can hatch some later on in the spring when I can get her properly set up.
  9. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

You go out to look at your chickens first thing and find your car keys on top of the run, having been left there last night when you went to look at your chickens....

(good thing it didn't rain, and that I went out there. I would NEVER think of top of the chicken run to look for the car keys)
    2 people like this.
  10. ChatKath47

ChatKath47 Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2015
    My husband says I must really love my three girls as I was sitting out in a chair, watching them, eating an apple when my Leghorn came over, hopped in my lap to see what I had, (she's the most nosy, curious girl of the three), and she pecked at my apple and took it out of my hand. All I could do is chuckle. I said "Blondie, if you want it that badly, you can have it. Of course the other two had to come see what she had - so much for that Gala! Husband said "You shouldn't let her take that, she'll think she can take other food from you." I told him that my girls can have whatever is safe for them to eat, and the apple is good for them. He just shook his head. He can't get use to the idea I scramble an egg and mix in oatmeal and pulverized egg shells for them.

My husband just completed putting some new wire fencing around our coop and run - it had to have much smaller gauge as the wild birds were getting in and eating all the chicken feed. After he was done, all three had to "inspect" the wire, Jane, one of my Amerucanas, pecked at it as if to see what it was. She's the one who would run into the chicken yard and chase the wild birds out of the fee if she saw them. She's also the one who will run, flapping her wings to chase blackbirds out of the yard when they come to eat the birdseed under the wild bird feeder. Samantha, our other Amerucans, is shy and will just sit quietly and watch the activity, but is first in line for the mealworms.

Like the bumper sticker says, "My pets make my breakfast" - gotta get one of those!!
    2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by