You might be a “Southie” if...

Pronounce it however you want, I'm sure people will be able to figure it out.
I live in Mackinac county, looking over the water at Mackinac island, and at the Mackinac bridge. However the town on the other end of the bridge is called Mackinaw City. And Mackinac/naw is always pronounced as if it ends in a w. However, Mackinac is a native American name, so the ways it's spelled are based on the French - with a c - or English - with a w - settlers. 🤔
You can always tell when people are not from around here, when they pronounce it Mackinack.
Really? They mispronounce Mackinac?

I bet these are the same people that have never been in a sauna.

Pronounce it however you want, I'm sure people will be able to figure it out.
I live in Mackinac county, looking over the water at Mackinac island, and at the Mackinac bridge. However the town on the other end of the bridge is called Mackinaw City. And Mackinac/naw is always pronounced as if it ends in a w. However, Mackinac is a native American name, so the ways it's spelled are based on the French - with a c - or English - with a w - settlers. 🤔
You can always tell when people are not from around here, when they pronounce it Mackinack.
That’s a beautiful area. I just love Lake Huron! When we lived in Sarnia, Ontario we would always go to the start of the Mackinac sailboat race. I’m sure everyone would have looked at me like I was crazy if I ever pronounced it “Mack-in-ack”.

Southies. Let me explain it to you.

The word is two syllables. If you look at the syllables they are two words.

Leg & horn.

Pronounce it like that.

Do not add a third syllable....do not add letters.

Do not try to make it sound sophisticated.

I hope this helps.

and

bless your little hearts.
My thoughts exactly!

Oh dear. I am going to struggle. Cause I'm pretty sure sow is pronounced like the word oww with an s in front of it. Commonly said with the same emphasis as if you just stubbed your toe. For example: "Stupid sow!"

Back
Top Bottom