You might be a “Southie” if...

Dear Southies.

I have heard the whines from southies lately generated by a dusting of snow. Some of you will scream you got almost an inch.

It is hard to feel sorry for you I just finished moving a foot of heavy snow. Snow that will be here well into May.

I have tried to figure out how to explain “cold” to you. While shoveling snow in 40 below temps and 35 mph winds it came to me!

I am not talking water freezing cold. I am talking a cold where cast iron can be shattered with a single blow. Steel is bitter as glass.

Right now I could not tell you what my toes feel like. They are numb, despite huge roomy boots with an insulating inner boot and heavy wool socks. My fingers are nearly as bad. However, having to use them and heavy insulated lined mittens help. Mittens are not just for kids up here. Gloves will freeze your fingers, as the fingers need to huddle together like chicks to stay warm.

My cheeks are white from frostbite, my teeth feel like they could shatter at any second. There is a column of ice about an inch long protruding from each nostril where the moisture in my breath freezes as I exhale.

Peeing outdoors is risky. Not because things might freeze off, but that is a danger. But because you could lose an eye. Urine will freeze solid before it hits the ground. Shards of frozen urine can break off and send pieces flying back towards your face taking out an eye. Which is why we always wear googles or safety glasses in the winter.

Some might think why put up with this climate?

The answer is simple, it makes for a great way of life. We have no bugs or mosquitoes this time of year. The cold keeps the undesirable pests away. We never see a Southie for these 8 months of winter!

And of course, it brings a special flair to us when halter top season arrives.

The above is all true. If you doubt me come on up and help move snow.

Back
Top Bottom