young african goose injured?? help!!

shortstack11

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 31, 2011
I have a young african goose and she has a spot on her neck where the feathers are missing and its draining but there is no visible wound. She acts like she cant eat or drink and when she holds her head up to swallow, she cant keep her balance. She is in the pen with two others and their both fine. What could possibly be wrong!?!? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

If you can, a picture of the spot will help us a lot in figuring out what's wrong.

Maybe she has an abscess on the inside of her neck. It could be swelling and constricting her esophagus and wind pipe, making it hard for her to eat and breath.

Can you tell us more about the drainage? What color is it, is it thick, or is there any blood?

Good luck! I hope she starts feeling better soon.

Ill be able to get a picture tomorrow and post it! The drainage looks like oil? You cant see any sore or anything, just a spot where feathers are missing. Its my moms goose and Im trying to help her get some information on what it could be so we can get her well. Thanks.

I cant figure out how to post the pictures. Im new at this lol! Cant you tell me how? Thanks.

Of course!
big_smile.png
Here you go: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504

Thank you so much!!

The first one is of the back of her i believe. And the second one is her underbelly on the side. Its gotten worse since I first posted!!
sad.png

101964_photo-0077.jpg

101964_photo-0078.jpg

Aw, poor girl!
sad.png

Is that a wound I'm seeing in the second picture? The skin looks like it's torn a bit. If so, try scrubbing her wound gently and putting iodine or neosporin (without pain relief) on the opening.

I have a feeling she must have an infection of some sort on the inside, but I would hate to advise you to use antibiotics unless it was really, truly needed. If you were to need antibiotics, I think Tylan or Penicillin would work best on an abscess or localized infection.

Hoping someone who knows more about geese will come along!
fl.gif

Thanks so much!! I do think that is a wound!! I havent been to my moms to look at her myself, she just sent me the pictures so I can try and get some information about it! She removed the other geese so she could be by herself. The other geese were starting to pull her feathers out and they wouldn't let her eat!! But she's by herself now and she's eating and drinking!!!!!

Quote:
Before treating her with any antibiotics [water fowl are very sensitive to meds] I would ask a vet what is the best to use. My goose got into a fight with our drake and had some nasty wounds on his wings, My vet looked up what was best to treat with and I went by and picked it up, so if you have a vet maybe they would give you meds. without you having to take her in [if money is a problem] . That doesn't look good, but the fact she is eating and drinking is good. Also post on the goose thread on BYC the goose peoiple maybe able to give more insight. Could be the other geese are picking on her and have caused this too.
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom