Young Australorp roo near TN/AL line

tnmommy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 14, 2013
Loretto, TN
We are needing to find a home for our roo, he is fairly gentle with us but has too few hens and they are a bit sick of him LOL. He has some frostbite on his comb and wattles but it seems to be healing. We are not used to all of this single digit temperatures around here. I think our neighbors would appreciate him finding a new home, too.

Loretto, TN

We are needing to find a home for our roo, he is fairly gentle with us but has too few hens and they are a bit sick of him LOL.  He has some frostbite on his comb and wattles but it seems to be healing.  We are not used to all of this single digit temperatures around here.  I think our neighbors would appreciate him finding a new home, too. 

Loretto, TN
Do you have any pics of him?

I do, but they are from earlier in the year. His wattles are looking much better, the comb is still pretty bad but healing. He hasn't seemed bothered by either. I'm not sure which hen argued with him or what happened, he's missing some feathers from a spot on his back but the downy feathers are still there. I'll post some older pics now and send you updated ones later today...away from home this morning. These were all taken in late November/December 2013. As you can see, he has been trustworthy with my little boy. I haven't tested the fertility rate because some of my girls are still laying pullet-sized eggs.

See that precious little boy with his favorite chicken? After tears and trembling chin, he will get to keep the rooster. Sigh. One of our rescue kitties got out and was hit by a car, our old cat died, the poor kid has lost too many pets and people in his short life. Couldn't do it to him again. Henceforth all cockrels are out of here before they get names!

We are keeping him, but one of his offspring is available. I'd give it another week or so just to be sure he is indeed a cockerel. About 4 weeks old right now.

Back
Top Bottom