Young female not walking

BreezyBre

Songster
Apr 6, 2018
San Diego CA
So I decided to get into ducks now I've chickens a while and I decided to a trade with a nice lady chickens for ducks . Anyway they seem pretty healthy with the exception of one she just started laying but she's not walking , I agree to take her in the hopes I could fix her up .
Nothing seems broken on her ,sore spots she seems fine otherwise so I'm thinking vitaman deficiency ? A few other ppl in forums said that's most likely the issue . I always check her and get good info so what do ya'll think ? Treat her for that ? Anything else I should be looking at/for ?

What are you feeding?

Many feeds do not have enough niacin in them for ducks and it can cause leg issues.

It must be flush free niacin... or brewers yeast... though I don't know the amounts.

Purina flock raiser does have the appropriate amount of niacin for ducks at 55mg/kg. I had to call the company to ask as it isn't included on most labels. Most chicken feeds are closer to 30mg/kg... So it's definitely possible that it could be the source of your issue.

If the other lady WAS feeding correctly... it's possible this duck has a higher need for some reason like poor absorption or something.

Can you post a pic or video using vimeo or youtube? Do you know how long she has been not walking for?

What are you feeding?

Many feeds do not have enough niacin in them for ducks and it can cause leg issues.

It must be flush free niacin... or brewers yeast... though I don't know the amounts.

Purina flock raiser does have the appropriate amount of niacin for ducks at 55mg/kg. I had to call the company to ask as it isn't included on most labels. Most chicken feeds are closer to 30mg/kg... So it's definitely possible that it could be the source of your issue.

If the other lady WAS feeding correctly... it's possible this duck has a higher need for some reason like poor absorption or something.

Can you post a pic or video using vimeo or youtube? Do you know how long she has been not walking for?

I'm picking her up Wednesday so all I know it shes not walking ,just starting laying and she sent me a pic of her trying to walk .
Just sent her a message asking all the above questions you asked so I'm awaiting reply . Just want to make sure I do everything right to help her and I'm ready to when I pick her up .
received_1138483939636710.jpeg

I'm picking her up Wednesday so all I know it shes not walking
Looks like some feather damage... possible parasites... internal or external both could contribute to vitamin deficit.

Just getting into ducks, I would not take on an injured or ill bird... It sounds like a terrible disheartening way to start. Aside from the challenges of care and such... honestly I value the rest of my flocks' lives too much to expose them to who knows what COULD be causing the trouble. It is for that reason that I don't rescue other poultry even though my heart feels for them. So please consider yourself and your flock as well before finalizing your commitment to this duck. :fl

@chickensreally have you any thoughts here that might be helpful? Thank you

Ya I can't really see how they are being kept entirely so I started looking closer at the pics and wondering about what she might have otherwise . It's solid advice really so thank you I appreciate it & my problem is I really do want to help other animals if I can because she looks like she could use a nice free range backyard but I have 20 chickens ....do I want to ruin my entire flock ? Not so much so the whole kinda bums me out but I have to do what's right " sigh"

Looks like some feather damage... possible parasites... internal or external both could contribute to vitamin deficit.

Just getting into ducks, I would not take on an injured or ill bird... It sounds like a terrible disheartening way to start. Aside from the challenges of care and such... honestly I value the rest of my flocks' lives too much to expose them to who knows what COULD be causing the trouble. It is for that reason that I don't rescue other poultry even though my heart feels for them. So please consider yourself and your flock as well before finalizing your commitment to this duck. :fl

@chickensreally have you any thoughts here that might be helpful? Thank you

I have to do what's right " sigh"
I am glad you are seriously considering it. :highfive:

I don't know that much about ducks or if they carry anything that could be an issue for chickens. Do you know if she already has chickens? Looks like a chicken foot on the doorway maybe, upper left corner?

I do know ducks can be pretty muddy which I don't think in and of itself is harmful. I also know I have taken pictures of birds in muddy or barren run, even though my birds to have nice full free range access to pasture... that just happened to not be IN the pic. So I try not to jump to conclusions... too much! :oops: :)

It's hard to stick to your guns about bio security... I know. :hmm

However, I never read anyone who regretted it! And dozens daily who didn't know or didn't worry about it and are still kicking themselves'. And then again... things CAN be brought in by wild birds EVEN if you do your best. There are so many possibilities.. DO what you are most comfortable with!

Consider ordering ducks from...
http://www.metzerfarms.com/

They have SOOOO much valuable information on their website as well! Then you might be able to get something are truly interested in and no worry for disease... they can even sex them. And it's not as local as down the street, but it IS a family operation based still In California! :yesss: And I think their birds are pretty good and VERY reasonably priced compared to what most back yarders are asking for non sexed, unknown birds.. Meaning I have and WOULD order from them again. :)

Best wishes with whatever you choose! :thumbsup

She does have chickens and yes I shouldn't jump to conclusions you are correct but I do know she lives in the city . So I worry about how many animals she's got in their which could lead to not the best conditions ? All stuff I don't know that now has me thinking . She send a different pic with a lot of cages in the background stacked up so I started feeling less comfortable about it . Still hasn't answer the what's she feeding etc questions ,I'm sure probably busy and now I'm probably over thinking it lol . I will check out the link you posted thank you :) It's always nice having an easier ingress into something new

Back
Top Bottom