Young hen acting strange

Summer_Dawn

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2017
We have an australorp (4-4.5 months old) that started acting strange today. She seems to be eating/drinking/pooping ok, but she's extra talkative and extra affectionate? All our australorps are people friendly, and she probably the most, but she's going above and beyond today. Every time I've come outside today, she's jumped on my lap and practically gone to sleep as soon as I start petting her. When she fusses, our rooster comes to check on her, but can't quiet her down. She seems to be moving ok. I've checked her over for any obvious signs of injury and didn't find anything. Strange is the best way for me to describe how she's acting. Anyone have any clues?

:welcome

Glad to have you with us.

Is her comb red?
Mine get really chatty before they begin laying. I adore my Aussie girls but dang can they chat about EVERYTHING.

I have a Rhode island red she us the same way she will talk your head off if she could really talk..... like girl you will never guess what happened today they did this and I said that ect.... she is to funny we call her cry baby cause it sounds like she is crying all day long but just happy :)

Is she laying? Could be getting ready to lay.
She's not laying yet. She checked out the nesting boxes a few times today, but we just put them in the coop a few days ago so we was probably just looking. She is our largest lady though so maybe she'll be an early layer. Her comb isn't bright red, but she does have one. I noticed she was mouth breathing a little, but it was mostly when she was on my lap so maybe she was just hot?

Back
Top Bottom