Young hen laying HUGE eggs!

hipeatall

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
Okay... I have some super sweet "rainbow" hens (from S&G Poultry http://www.sandgpoultry.com/rainbow.html).
Here's a pic of a few of these girls and a pic of the egg -
24088_morerainbowhens012411.jpg
24088_hugeegg022711.jpg

So, one of these young hens (hatched the end of Sept 2010) is laying HUGE eggs... bigger than any I've ever seen. To date we have gotten 2 double yolks and today when we cracked up the latest ginormous eggs my little boy and I were shocked to see 3! yes THREE yolks. They all seem to be eating and drinking and laying and happy... but I'm a wee bit concerned... 3 yolks! They are fed a high quality organic layer diet... so I don't think that is contributing to this "issue".
I wish I'd taken pictures and gotten weights and all that jazz to share. I'm going to do that with future eggs and share it here.
Have any of you ever had this happen? Should I be concerned? I really adore these hens...

*edited to add pieced back together picture of egg
smile.png
... I filled each side of the egg with water and then measured the water - this egg was easily 3.5oz.

Last edited:
These pullets were born end of Sept and you are getting those kinds of eggs? I am so jealous. I seemed to wait forever.
dont worry, just enjoy.

Quote:
I know... I was really surprised to see that first egg in their coop!

Quote:
It is pretty awesome... I wonder if she will lay another or if it was a one time thing. I didn't realize it was possible!

Back
Top Bottom