Young hens (?) making loud strange noises

Hi all,

I joined BYC last week, great site! I posted because I'm new to having chickens, and was worried I had a rooster or two among my small four-bird flock. The responses were fast and excellent and all believed I had four hens (2 RI reds; 1 New Hampshire red; 1 Dominique). 🙏🏻

I love them they're so funny, and I'm learning as I go. Everything has been smooth but lately they've become super loud! Not clucking, but harsh-sounding squawks (skwahhh, skwahhh, skwahhh!) which worries me a couple may indeed be roos. Or I'm missing something.

It seems to mainly be from one of the RIs (the one that has a much-larger comb 😱) and the New Hampshire. The hampy is the most friendly, the RI is standoffish. I'm trying to figure out why they're being so loud? They're about 20 weeks, have plenty of food and water available all day, and plenty of room to wander, and no yeggs yet. In fact, since I opened up another part of my yard for them to range in during the day seems to be when they started being louder!

They sit right at the backdoor and seem to be waiting for me to come out and give them treats (I give them kale, moringa, sometimes a little yogurt, and chicken crack-organic 7-grain scratch) it's the only thing that seems to quiet them. The hampy and the RI literally peck the glass and watch me inside, waiting for me to come out! Is this behavior because they're spoiled and only want treats?

It doesn't sound like content noises but they're healthy, and should be happy. I'm in Western Broward County, and it's been hot, I wonder if that could be it? They have plenty of shade though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They're doing it constantly (sqwahhh, sqwahhh, skwahhhh!). If it keeps up I'm sure my neighbors will complain and I won't be able to keep them and I want to; I'm in a typical suburb, small yard with some fruit trees, plenty of room for four birds to be content. We are allowed to keep hens but not roos. I'm at a loss.

Thanks all, and so sorry for the lengthy post!
Your chickens to make more norse, they are smart you give treats when they make norse,
Yo
One your trainings

Hi all,

I joined BYC last week, great site! I posted because I'm new to having chickens, and was worried I had a rooster or two among my small four-bird flock. The responses were fast and excellent and all believed I had four hens (2 RI reds; 1 New Hampshire red; 1 Dominique). 🙏🏻

I love them they're so funny, and I'm learning as I go. Everything has been smooth but lately they've become super loud! Not clucking, but harsh-sounding squawks (skwahhh, skwahhh, skwahhh!) which worries me a couple may indeed be roos. Or I'm missing something.

It seems to mainly be from one of the RIs (the one that has a much-larger comb 😱) and the New Hampshire. The hampy is the most friendly, the RI is standoffish. I'm trying to figure out why they're being so loud? They're about 20 weeks, have plenty of food and water available all day, and plenty of room to wander, and no yeggs yet. In fact, since I opened up another part of my yard for them to range in during the day seems to be when they started being louder!

They sit right at the backdoor and seem to be waiting for me to come out and give them treats (I give them kale, moringa, sometimes a little yogurt, and chicken crack-organic 7-grain scratch) it's the only thing that seems to quiet them. The hampy and the RI literally peck the glass and watch me inside, waiting for me to come out! Is this behavior because they're spoiled and only want treats?

It doesn't sound like content noises but they're healthy, and should be happy. I'm in Western Broward County, and it's been hot, I wonder if that could be it? They have plenty of shade though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They're doing it constantly (sqwahhh, sqwahhh, skwahhhh!). If it keeps up I'm sure my neighbors will complain and I won't be able to keep them and I want to; I'm in a typical suburb, small yard with some fruit trees, plenty of room for four birds to be content. We are allowed to keep hens but not roos. I'm at a loss.

Thanks all, and so sorry for the lengthy post!

Yo
check around, there may be a predator close by.....don't forget to look in the trees! If you can, watch them when they are making that noise and see if they are all frozen and looking in a particular area. If the ones that aren't making noise are just milling around and looking normal, not stressed, then maybe you have some big mouth berthas....I have had a few....😒

When mine started laying a month ago they started making all kinds of racket and every time one laid an egg the other would run inside and inspect it.Its amazing how close they all are.Now that they've been laying a while they're much quieter.Every time they scream the dogs bark

Back
Top Bottom