Young hens (?) making loud strange noises

Pics

YoGuy

Chirping
Sep 5, 2021
Southeast Florida
Hi all,

I joined BYC last week, great site! I posted because I'm new to having chickens, and was worried I had a rooster or two among my small four-bird flock. The responses were fast and excellent and all believed I had four hens (2 RI reds; 1 New Hampshire red; 1 Dominique). šŸ™šŸ»

I love them they're so funny, and I'm learning as I go. Everything has been smooth but lately they've become super loud! Not clucking, but harsh-sounding squawks (skwahhh, skwahhh, skwahhh!) which worries me a couple may indeed be roos. Or I'm missing something.

It seems to mainly be from one of the RIs (the one that has a much-larger comb šŸ˜±) and the New Hampshire. The hampy is the most friendly, the RI is standoffish. I'm trying to figure out why they're being so loud? They're about 20 weeks, have plenty of food and water available all day, and plenty of room to wander, and no yeggs yet. In fact, since I opened up another part of my yard for them to range in during the day seems to be when they started being louder!

They sit right at the backdoor and seem to be waiting for me to come out and give them treats (I give them kale, moringa, sometimes a little yogurt, and chicken crack-organic 7-grain scratch) it's the only thing that seems to quiet them. The hampy and the RI literally peck the glass and watch me inside, waiting for me to come out! Is this behavior because they're spoiled and only want treats?

It doesn't sound like content noises but they're healthy, and should be happy. I'm in Western Broward County, and it's been hot, I wonder if that could be it? They have plenty of shade though. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

They're doing it constantly (sqwahhh, sqwahhh, skwahhhh!). If it keeps up I'm sure my neighbors will complain and I won't be able to keep them and I want to; I'm in a typical suburb, small yard with some fruit trees, plenty of room for four birds to be content. We are allowed to keep hens but not roos. I'm at a loss.

Thanks all, and so sorry for the lengthy post!

Yo

A couple of phots of my flock. Thank you!

Attachments

• 399CB5B8-6B38-4F58-9F3C-DAA4B93F0687.jpeg
    399CB5B8-6B38-4F58-9F3C-DAA4B93F0687.jpeg
    520.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 0146FCD4-078C-48AA-A336-1BEFC8795F17.jpeg
    0146FCD4-078C-48AA-A336-1BEFC8795F17.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
lately they've become super loud! Not clucking, but harsh-sounding squawks (skwahhh, skwahhh, skwahhh!) which worries me a couple may indeed be roos. Or I'm missing something.

Crowing would make me think males, but squawking doesn't. Hens can make plenty of loud, harsh squawks.

Some just seem more vocal than others. It tends to be worse when they are getting ready to start laying eggs, after which some quiet down and some don't.

Haha, there's a song named after it?!
Not exactly.

Hens tend to squawk in a particular way right after they lay an egg. People call it "the egg song" or they say the hen is "singing the egg song." Yes, there should be videos of it on youtube.

Hens can also squawk that way before they lay an egg, or if another hen is in the nest they want, or if they hear another hen doing it, or for various other reasons.

I've also heard "the egg song" when hens saw a predator. At least, it sounded the same to me. I don't know if anyone else would hear differences between the "egg" and "predator" versions.

Oh well, I listened to the egg song, I wish it was like that! Bah. Mine are making harsh, not really clucking, squawks. Pretty long, a few seconds. It's abrasive and not a happy sound. I feel terrible. They're just walking around crabbing, best way I could describe it. But they look healthy, have plenty of the things they need. I'd go so far as to say they're spoiled!

I found a red on YouTube in a long video making something close to what it is, and I screengrabbed it and cut it but can't post it. I'll keep searching. šŸ˜‘

I hope it's because they're getting ready to lay. Ugh. Thanks all.

They're acting up a storm today, too! Jumping onto things they never did before, (which I expect, they are birds!) and just acting very antsy.

I took a short video of the hampy making "the sound" but I can't figure out how to post it? Anyone know? Would I need to add it to a YouTube channel or similar, then post the link, or are there ways to post directly into the thread without going through a third party?

Thanks so much. It's like they know I'm looking for a solution and are purposely making more of these noises today than ever before! Clairvoyant chickens? Lol

Pics of the yard and coop; I can't imagine it's a space issue. Not that I have a farm.

Attachments

• 544DC1D0-E4B3-427B-814F-955F075BEED2.jpeg
    544DC1D0-E4B3-427B-814F-955F075BEED2.jpeg
    910 KB · Views: 33
  • 8A31CA44-0CB4-4E90-A464-2B3BB350D9F6.jpeg
    8A31CA44-0CB4-4E90-A464-2B3BB350D9F6.jpeg
    1,006.9 KB · Views: 29

Back
Top Bottom