Young Leghorn Quit Laying

drmusic

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 9, 2013
Sterlington LA
I have 9 hens ranging from 11 months to 4 years. The youngest 4 started laying this past spring. One of these, a buff leghorn, quit laying about 2 weeks ago. I know because she is my only white egg layer. I know that she is not hiding eggs because I did not let them out of their secure run for several days. Her comb is no longer bright red. It looks like the comb of a hen who is molting, but she is not showing other signs of molting and I have never had one molt this time of year. Other than not laying, she seems to be healthy and happy. This is my first leghorn – they are supposed to be egg laying machines. Any ideas? Could the Louisiana heat be an issue? Their coop has a fan and is in the coolest, shadiest part of the yard.

Heat could stress her enough to go out of lay. Running out of water, and not consuming as much feed during hot weather can lead to a production halt. Every hen is different.

I have had birds start to molt as early as late July some years. Most start around August to September.

Google "Forced Molt" then put on your thinking cap and see if any of it applies to you or to your husbandry practices.

Also, a Buff Leghorn has the sound and feel of a breed or strain of chicken that was created by a "chicken breeder" for the fancy poultry trade therefor a Buff Leghorn may not necessarily be the "Egg laying machine" that you hoped that it would be.

As opposed to the mundane Hatchery chickens a Chicken Breeder may be more interested in breeding hens and roosters with weird and wonderful appendages poking out from every part of their bodies instead of keeping utilitarian goals like egg production foremost in mind.

Thanks for the responses. They have never run out of food or clean water, and they freely roam my large yard most afternoons that I am home. Other than the heat, the only stressor I know of is that a broody hen was growling at anyone who got near the nest boxes to the point that a few, including the leghorn, would lay outside of the nest box. Since then I have learned to use a broody cage.

I have never had a chicken molt this early in the year, this young, or without losing feathers.

As far as the breed, you're right about her being a hatchery chicken. When she was laying, her eggs weren't the size I expected from a leghorn either. I seriously doubt that she is up to show standards. Still, she is pretty and fun to watch.

I don't really need an egg laying machine. Even with her not laying, another who has slowed with age, and 2 others who are taking turns going broody, we still have eggs to give away. These birds are primarily pets - eggs are just an additional benefit.

How hot is it in Louisiana this time of year? Two weeks seems like a long time to not lay any eggs. Do they come out of the coop into the run in the morning or do they stay in the coop all day

It is hot and humid here. Upper 90s at least every day.

The coop is 5x8 plus they have full access to a secure 8x16 covered run where they spend most of their time. In addition to the metal roof over the coop and run, they are in the shadiest part of the yard.

That’s about the temperatures we get in the summer time and it’s never seemed to affect their laying that much. I’ve never seen a chicken molt this early But I’m sure it’s not impossible. Plus mine are just really weird mine don’t start molting till like December. If she’s acting healthy otherwise maybe she is molting. How do her dropping’s look

The size of the lake horns egg isnt real impressive especially when they’re laying beside the Rhode Island Reds eggs and at least mine aren’t that crazy egg layers people make them out today. They are still fairly productive and I don’t mind because I just like having them

I haven't looked at her droppings specifically, but that's a good idea. I'll keep an eye on her this afternoon and take a look. I haven't noticed anything unusual except for the stinkbombs from my broodys.

Back
Top Bottom