Homesteaddreamer77

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2017
I was given two young Muscovy ducks (male and female) by a neighbor whom I'm farm sitting for. The male was being severely picked on by an older male duck and possibly a rooster that they were housed with. All his tail feathers had been pulled out and his bottom was picked at till it bled. I chose to take him for this reason. After bringing him home a couple days ago I started applying blu-kote to the wound and it seems to be healing. I also noticed that he was having diarrhea and sometimes strains over and over to poop and often can't or only a little squirts out at a time. When he waggles his hind end I can hear liquid sloshing around. He is drinking a lot of water and I have seem him eat multiple times. He is obviously uncomfortable and often has his head pulled in close to his body. I've had electrolytes and poultry probiotic added to their drinking water. What could be the problem and what else (if anything) can I do to help. BTW, female seems perfectly healthy. Thanks!

It could be some kind of blockage maybe something he ate before you brought him home especially if the other drake might have been keeping him out of food and water which can happen.
Your on the right track with the probiotics and electrolytes do either of these have vitamins too? If you just started the P&E it may take a few days to notice any difference. How does his belly feel?

It could be some kind of blockage maybe something he ate before you brought him home especially if the other drake might have been keeping him out of food and water which can happen.
Your on the right track with the probiotics and electrolytes do either of these have vitamins too? If you just started the P&E it may take a few days to notice any difference. How does his belly feel?

Thank you for your reply! I was thinking a possible blockage too. I've noticed he has the habit of trying to eat things that aren't food. Didn't connect the two until you mentioned it but it makes sense that that could be caused by being chased away from food. I haven't felt his belly yet (they are both very skittish and I've been trying not to stress them further) but I will do that. Is there anything I can do if there is a blockage? Right now I'm using Sav-a-Chic products for the electrolytes and probiotics and the electrolyte mix have some vitamins too.

*update* Just went out side to feel his belly (lots of protest on his part- poor guy). It does seem he has an roundish, nickle sized, firm lump about an inch below and to the left of his vent. The rest of the area is very squishy.

Last edited:
It all depends on what the blockage maybe you could try adding some coconut oil to their feed or water probably have to be in liquid form to add to their water. I know you said farm duck so probably taking him in for an Xray would be out of the question? I know you can give a chicken hen Ducolax for crop trouble to get it moving not sure about a duck who may need some help to pass something that maybe stopping him up. How is he acting otherwise? Moving around exploring his new home, lethargic depressed?

http://kingofdoodles.blogspot.com/2011/06/signs-of-intestinal-blockage-in-pet.html

It all depends on what the blockage maybe you could try adding some coconut oil to their feed or water probably have to be in liquid form to add to their water. I know you said farm duck so probably taking him in for an Xray would be out of the question? I know you can give a chicken hen Ducolax for crop trouble to get it moving not sure about a duck who may need some help to pass something that maybe stopping him up. How is he acting otherwise? Moving around exploring his new home, lethargic depressed?

These are my first ducks, though I've had chickens before. As far as I can tell he seems active and curious. I gave them a kiddie pool and seeing their first time playing in water was great fun! He does seem to keep his head in close to his body though where the female does not. He drinks a lot of water too. Especially after straining to go. I will try the coconut oil.

This morning I was starting to lose hope for our little guy as it seemed he was getting worse. As a last effort I wrapped him up in a towel and wiped his bottom with unscented baby wipes and coconut oil. I then noticed he had a hard patch covering up a good portion of his vent. Gently I removed it and the flood gates opened! Very gross and stinky. I described this to my husband and he gagged - LOL! He may still have an obstruction but at least he'll have a fighting chance of passing it now. He already seems in better spirits and no more sloshing sound when he waggles his tail. Fingers crossed that he'll make a full recovery:fl

Oh my goodness that is awesome that you found that. Good for you.

Poor guy just needed his bottom cleaned. It's a good thing us women have strong tummy's.

I sure hope that is all it was.

Back
Top Bottom