Young quail has been scalped and eye is badly damaged. Wound smells bad.

ok. So I can use peroxide. I have to put some of that on its cut and let it dry? And then put the ointment on and wash my hands? Anything else?
I have gloves but I honestly think I could work better without them.

I wouldn't use peroxide on a wound that's deep like this, but that just me. Peroxide is just for small cuts and scrapes. Peroxide should not be using very often because it kills the good bacteria along with a bad bacteria.
I agree, but in a pinch it will work. I didnt even think of saline, that is a good idea.

Is saline the same thing as contact solution? I have some of that. Should I use that instead of peroxide?
Should I do anything about its eye? I don't think I should put peroxide on it but should I do something else?
I agree, but in a pinch it will work. I didnt even think of saline, that is a good idea.

I have peroxide and something called povidone iodine 10% will that work? Which one of those is better? Also It doesn't like to be held. Could that be a problem when cleaning the wound?
That's the same iodine that they would use in the hospital... It's like a brownish color.

Last edited:
Is saline the same thing as contact solution? I have some of that. Should I use that instead of peroxide?
Should I do anything about its eye? I don't think I should put peroxide on it but should I do something else?
No don't use contact solution. Sterile saline solution is the water that they use in the hospital to clean out wounds, but the iodine that you have will work.

I don't know if you have sterile gauze which is something not everyone has I just have it on hand, but you can use a cotton ball or anything that you can saturate a lot with the iodine so that the cotton does not get stuck in the wound.

So should I use that?
Yes, I would use the iodine... saturate a cotton ball or anything that you can find and dab it on to the wound don't wipe. And then wait a few minutes until it dries. Usually it will dry a brownish tint, But you might not notice because the wound is so red. once it is dry you can apply your triple antibiotic ointment. I would give it about 5-10 minutes or so to dry (the iodine)...

Yikes!! That looks painful. Like everyone is saying: clean then treat.

Isolate the baby to Prevent further injury, use a damp cloth to wipe and dirt away, then apply antibiotic ointment with a q-tip. Check multiple times a day and repeat the process.
You could ask a vet to give you bird-safe antibiotics for it to drink/eat. If the infection is deep then topical ointment will do nothing.

Back
Top Bottom