Young roo with leg issue...holds leg out in front of him...leg is limp

cocosandy

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 14, 2007
Stamford, CT
Ive got a few problems here this week, not the least of which is this sizzle roo who was SOLD on eggbid but couldnt go to his new home because he suddenly started holding his leg out. He seems fine otherwise and was, up until yesterday, eating and drinking.
He has been staying in a laying box in the barn and has water and food (we have a huge ice storm today so Im leaving him where he is)
The leg is loose from the hip down and when I manipulate it he struggles. The other leg seems fine. He holds it straight out front when he is out of the box and he sits down alot.
Since I have another sick chick in the basement (will post separately on that) Im wondering if I should just put him in a hosiptal tank there and start some antibiotics (Tylan 50 IM?)
just to see if it helps. I cant find a break or any indication of trauma.
This guy is beautiful and he is one of my extra roos who wont have trouble getting a home, but if he is hurt or sick its impossible.
I see nothing else wrong with him.
he stays in the nest box where I put him and seems to be eating well.
I just lost a young hen to a strange virus or vitamin deficiency problem where her legs got weak and became paralyzed. She didnt flip over and she ate well...I thought she would get better but I finally had to put her down. I was supplementing vitamin B's and E...and I have now added E and brewer's yeast to the feed (the best organic feed around here...Natures Best Layer pellets and grower...blue seal chick feed, and some game bird feed for the 2 turkeys...all of the birds of course love the chick and game feed because its given in a separate bowl on the side...)
Ive seen the flip over disease, and the wasting problem, but not just sudden paralysis...and this roo seems to have hurt his leg. I just dont see any change at all after 3 days.

any suggestions will be appreciated.

So sorry this is happening to you! And your birds.

I lost a roo a while back who had one leg stuck out front, just like it does with Marek's. Turned out it wasn't Marek's, it was permanant neurological damage caused by some moldy feed he'd found after a weeks worth of rain. I had to put him down.

Don't know if that's the case, but maybe it'll help. Good luck,
fl.gif

Do they do that with Mareks? OMG! But no one else is sick.....
It is possible that they got into some bad water or feed...they free range and its been awfully wet this year.
I sure hope not.
Maybe I can get the extension vet to look at these birds. I wish he wasnt so far away.

Back
Top Bottom