Young rooster not crowing but.......ehhemm....

patman75

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Michigan - in the thumb
While cleaning the coop I noticed my young rooster for first time.......Asserting his manhood on a young pullet.

Odd thing is that he has never crowed that I know of. My nieghbors have not heard him either.

Has anyone else have a young rooster getting busy with no crowing? Just wondering.

thanks everyone.

I think EE's are notoriously slow to mature...

I also think that non-dominant roosters often don't crow much, but I only see one roo in your sig line.

Last edited:
Bow chikka wah-wow!
lol.png

Thats the best kind of rooster. The kind that doesnt crow! He's just secure in his manhood, Im sure. his... Roohood.

I have had occasions when they learn to top first and about two months later learn to crow. If you only have that one roo I would think that he might not know that he is supposed to crow. I do have some pens with more than one roo and the non-dominate ones don't crow a lot unless the dominate one lets them. Otherwise they get put in their place fast.

I am new at raising chickens. I had two EE which I thought were Hens. I always thought they were hens because they would be the first to flee when I entered the coop and they were by no means protective of anything except their hides.

Then at about weeks 20 old, I heard crowing at 3AM, waking me up. Then in the course of 2 weeks, the crowing became more consistent throughout the day.

Since my town does not allow for roosters, I had to put the dominant crower down. I had hoped that the other would stop crowing because there would be no competition.

WRONG!

The day after, the single Roo started crowing ALOT. Guess what, no more Roo's.

Oddly, 2 days after all the Roosters were "evicted off the island", my hen laid her first egg.

I thought my Ameraucana rooster was a dud for the longest time, until I finally saw him mating with one of the hens (a week or so age) he is 11 months old now. He has NEVER crowed before.

I have the opposite problem. My Ameraucana roo started crowing on Christmas day, but I haven't seen him show any other 'roo' traits. He seems to act like he's one of the hens.

I got a Hovabator for Christmas and this guy could be nice and cooperate so I could hatch some eggs. He is only 6-7 months old and so he is probably just slow like the EEs. Guess I have to be patient a little longer!
barnie.gif

I had a little bantam rooster crow at just weeks old and then gave it up and didn't hear another attempt until nearly a year later. He was the only roo at the time and the hens were laying fertile eggs from around 4months on so he didn't crow for about 6months beyond maturity.

Back
Top Bottom