Young turkeys with dry fowl pox and mycoplasma at the same time

May 9, 2020
Tampa, Florida
I have turkeys that are probably around 2 months old. We have some older ones (same breed) that got the fowl pox around that age but they were/are fine, they are just now getting the mycoplasma somehow. But the 2 month old ones are a completely different story than the older ones. These guys got the worst of each illness at once. Yesterday one of them started gasping for air and looked really bad and today he could barely walk or move and died when I picked him up :'(

Some of the others can't see at all and I have to help them find their food and water throughout the day. Some do a good job on their own by using their ears or whats left of their eyes, but others not so much. With the pox, it started out small. Now it's covering almost their whole face. One can't even close its mouth because the pox is in the way. The mycoplasma is there too, making things worst. One had a bubbly eye until the whole thing was closed off by pox. I feel so bad and I don't know how to help. I've spent $150 just this week on meds/remedies (for the whole flock because there's different problems too) and nothings helping. I give them apple cider vinegar and garlic in their water every few days but that isn't even helping anymore. The mycoplasma isn't much a problem when they have ACV, but the pox just continues to grow worst and worst. I don't wanna have to kill the poor babies, but I also don't want them to suffer. What should I do? Can someone please help :( :(

Note: All the turkeys are roaming around and making noise like normal, but they tend to stand around occasionally with ruffled feathers. When I go outside they all follow me, even if they can't see. If I sit on the ground, then they all climb on my lap. So their behavior is slightly normal, eating and drinking good too, but I'm still very concerned that they will end up like the one this morning :(

Fowl pox is really bad on young birds. Mycoplasma (MG) can be a secondary infection with pox, but do you know for sure they have mycoplasma? Pictures of the pox lesions could be helpful. You may want to mix up some normal saline, and wash their eyes to remove any crud, then apply som Terramycin eye ointment to their eyes twice a day. To make normal saline, mix a quart/liter of water with 2 tsp of table aalt in a sauce pan, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer for 15 minutes covered. Cool and store in a clean jar or container. If you cannot get Terramycin, since some states don’t sell it in feed stores, use plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment.

With the ones who have the worst eye lesions, I would try feeding them with a watery mash of their feed. Offer water as well. Not being able to see is the worst thing about fowl pox, and they cannot get to food and water. Also the nostrils can become blocked with swollen scabs.

Fowl pox is a virus that lasts 3-4 weeks, and most will be immune to that strain later if they survive. There is a pox vaccine available for those who live in areas where pox and mosquitoes are bad.

If you think MG is a problem, tylosin in the water can help treat symptoms. Here is where to get it:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Fowl pox is really bad on young birds. Mycoplasma (MG) can be a secondary infection with pox, but do you know for sure they have mycoplasma? Pictures of the pox lesions could be helpful. You may want to mix up some normal saline, and wash their eyes to remove any crud, then apply som Terramycin eye ointment to their eyes twice a day. To make normal saline, mix a quart/liter of water with 2 tsp of table aalt in a sauce pan, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer for 15 minutes covered. Cool and store in a clean jar or container. If you cannot get Terramycin, since some states don’t sell it in feed stores, use plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment.

With the ones who have the worst eye lesions, I would try feeding them with a watery mash of their feed. Offer water as well. Not being able to see is the worst thing about fowl pox, and they cannot get to food and water. Also the nostrils can become blocked with swollen scabs.

Fowl pox is a virus that lasts 3-4 weeks, and most will be immune to that strain later if they survive. There is a pox vaccine available for those who live in areas where pox and mosquitoes are bad.

If you think MG is a problem, tylosin in the water can help treat symptoms. Here is where to get it:
just saw this, thank you! i know it is mycoplasma due to diagnosing the chickens. i tried tylosin once but I ran out before it helped any. all the chickens had recovered from it weeks after the tylosin and some still have some issues.

the pox has been going around for a long time and doesn't seem to leave. it's been in our big turkeys for 2 months so far but never seemed to get bad with them. are you able to use a vaccine if they already have it? or will that not work. i live in florida so bugs are really bad here.

some of the turkeys that can't see are refusing to eat now, but they stand in the pool during the day and drink. i'm not able to separate them because we don't have room.

is it okay if the ointment gets in their eyes? because the pox is basically all in that area.

the one that died..

Attachments

• 20210520_213246.jpg
    20210520_213246.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 10
Yes, the ointment should be put in the eyes. The fowl pox vaccine should be given only to birds who have not had symptoms. Sorry that you lost the one. Pox usually lasts about a month in each bird, but it can spread through a flock over several months.

Hang in there! Once you're over the hump, improvement is pretty fast, and the birds can recover to an amazing degree, even if it looks hopeless now.

I had a pigeon chick with dry pox - at one point his whole face was under a solid "helmet" of sores. Both eyes totally covered so we couldn't even find the opening in the sores. Both ears infected so badly it looked like he had an extra head growing out of each side of his head. We were sure he was going to die - or at best, be blind and deaf. But luckily we stuck it out.

The vet gave me oral antibiotics. I found a tube of human eye infection antibiotics in the house and put it over his eyes daily (they were covered or nearly covered at this point), and put Polydine ointment (Povidone iodine 10%) on all the sores anywhere not in danger of getting into his eyes.

After something like 2-4 days of both eyes being covered completely, the sores started to dry up. A few days later they peeled off in two big pieces. Again, kind of like a helmet. D: Eyes and ears were miraculously fine. His head was all bare skin, but his feathers grew back except one small patch that's barely noticeable, with one white feather next to it. He's very handsome now, and lives with us - he's positive that he is the head of the household.

Yes, the ointment should be put in the eyes. The fowl pox vaccine should be given only to birds who have not had symptoms. Sorry that you lost the one. Pox usually lasts about a month in each bird, but it can spread through a flock over several months.
okay, thank you so much for the information! you're very helpful, I appreciate it a lot :) I will have to start the treatment today

Hang in there! Once you're over the hump, improvement is pretty fast, and the birds can recover to an amazing degree, even if it looks hopeless now.

I had a pigeon chick with dry pox - at one point his whole face was under a solid "helmet" of sores. Both eyes totally covered so we couldn't even find the opening in the sores. Both ears infected so badly it looked like he had an extra head growing out of each side of his head. We were sure he was going to die - or at best, be blind and deaf. But luckily we stuck it out.

The vet gave me oral antibiotics. I found a tube of human eye infection antibiotics in the house and put it over his eyes daily (they were covered or nearly covered at this point), and put Polydine ointment (Povidone iodine 10%) on all the sores anywhere not in danger of getting into his eyes.

After something like 2-4 days of both eyes being covered completely, the sores started to dry up. A few days later they peeled off in two big pieces. Again, kind of like a helmet. D: Eyes and ears were miraculously fine. His head was all bare skin, but his feathers grew back except one small patch that's barely noticeable, with one white feather next to it. He's very handsome now, and lives with us - he's positive that he is the head of the household.
wow that recovery is amazing! thank you for sharing this it's really inspiring. do you know if there's antibiotics you can get online for them? i hope that my turkeys can recover like your awesome birdy did!

wow that recovery is amazing! thank you for sharing this it's really inspiring. do you know if there's antibiotics you can get online for them? i hope that my turkeys can recover like your awesome birdy did!
I got mine from the vet directly... Unfortunately I don't remember what type they were.

I don't know about getting antibiotics by mail, but I figure it depends on what the laws are like where you are. I'd suggest maybe calling up some poultry farmers in your area and asking for advice, to see if they can recommend a vet or a method of ordering meds.

Good luck! Hoping that your birds make it through. <3

Back
Top Bottom