Youngest Pullet Self-isolating

OP mentions that she's only a three month old pullet; chances are good that if it's parasites, she can overcome this with treatment. I'm suspecting worms or coccidiosis as the age of the pullet is about right for these diseases to rear their ugly head. Just because one suffers more than others doesn't mean that they've not all been exposed and treating for parasites won't hurt them, even if it' prophylactic treatment for some.

I think Tycine1 has some good advice. I would try the treatments first since she is so young. Along with boosting her nutrition she may come out of this with treatments, especially if you have ruled out water belly. Let us know how she does!

Hello guys. I thank you so much for your info and advice. And I think both of you were spot on. So... I did the dummy move... I took my chick to the vet. Yes... I went that far. The total cost of the visit was $124 for a $20 Easter Egger. Anyway, I learned a lot from my costly visit. Here is the run-down:
1. She has fluid on her abdomen. He did not call it water belly. Would have to do a lot of costly tests to determine that. But her abdomen is extended pretty far and her muscle mass is light. It may be an impacted egg. It would cost too much to find out for sure.
2. I paid for a fecal exam and she does have parasites. Three kinds (cap something, round worms, and coccidia. He suggested I treat the whole flock with Safe-Guard and Corid from Tractor Supply. So I think both of you were right in your assessments.
3. The other thing he told me that I found invaluable is to utilize my local extension program. He said if I ever lose a chicken to take her to the extension for a complete necropsy. The cost is only $115 and the info that will yield about my flock can be important. He said when he worked for the local zoo, it cost hundreds of dollars to provide the same service for their chickens.
4. One more thing, the Doc determined that it may not be time to put her down just yet. He went into great detail about how the parasites may impact the fluid on her abdomen. Just watch her and make the decision myself when it is time.

So, to sum it all up, I let my enthusiasm (and emotions) for my new flock get the best of me and I actually paid someone to tell me what you told me for free. But now I know and I have the knowledge going forward. Also, I am confessing my vet visit only to you because I would probably get beat up by my family if I told them (and I really mean that...lol).

Thanks again for everything.

Also, I am confessing my vet visit only to you because I would probably get beat up by my family if I told them (and I really mean that...lol).

Your secret is safe with us! ;)

Good luck with Baby. Any questions you have, ask them! Someone will have an answer or suggestion. Tap into the collective wisdom of BYC. We're all here for each other and our chickens.

Are the eggs safe while treating for parasites?
Another question for your vet...give them a call and ask.

Nice you have a vet that knows chickens, most of us do not.
...and good to have some thing confirmed by a pro.

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @ThatTeowonna
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1604003812431.png

one thing you can check is put her and the one she used to be happy with together away from the other chickens. if she still acts off then she is sick or injured. I have seen both sides when new chickens get hurt they stay away from the others. also if shes friends with the other chicken put them together and see if she changes. she could be scared of the bigger ones.

Back
Top Bottom