Your 2024 Garden

Pics
I've never had much luck growing it, it bolts so easily! But I keep trying... just have to pull it while it's still in baby form.
I grew lots of it 50 years ago with no bolting problems then. I don't know how well it will do here in S. AL. Maybe in the late fall and grow it in the winter will work. I know it would not do well this time of year as we will have heat soon. Not sure how well my English peas are going to do but maybe I'll get a few early. Now I'm headed out to plant some corn. Not the main crop for processing but some for early use. If it doesn't do well nothing lost as it can be replanted to mid summer.

I got 3 varieties of sweet corn planted today. Some of the seed were old but there was no Early Sun Glow to be found locally. I planted for the first time some Golden Queen. I didn't care for Silver Queen as I like the yellow corn better. There was just enough Early Sun Glow planted to get us by until bigger and better start coming in. Timing was good as rain is 98% chance for tomorrow.

By Thursday I should be able to till the patch where the bulk of our sweet corn, beans, field peas, squash, & a few other small trial things will be planted. By Saturday the planting should be mostly done. I have to build a trellis for cucumbers and one for our new trial with vining summer squash. I think the cumbers are going on cattle panels along with the yellow vining squash. Rather than use the cattle panels in a hoop I'm going to use them straight a in a fence to get to use more of their growing area. I'm raising them a foot off the ground making them 5' at the top attached to steel T posts. I've never used cattle panels for gardening before so this is a learning project. I may even squeeze a couple of tomatoes in on the cattle panel.

Today is the last warm (50s) day for awhile. That's ok by me! Lows will be in the 30s overnight, so this will keep the fruit trees and blueberries safe for now.

I SOOOO want a few cattle panels! Wondering if I could talk hubby into asking if he could borrow the delivery van from where he works...

Today is the last warm (50s) day for awhile. That's ok by me! Lows will be in the 30s overnight, so this will keep the fruit trees and blueberries safe for now.

I SOOOO want a few cattle panels! Wondering if I could talk hubby into asking if he could borrow the delivery van from where he works...
Some places will deliver. I got some from our local Farm CoOp delivered for free and they were several dollars less than TSC. Lowes has them but they were so much higher there.

Do you have a pickup truck?

IMG_20230114_094142605_HDR~2.jpg

This worked for us.

Looks like our garden got around or more than 2" of rain today. May not can till again before Friday unless we still have high winds drying us out. Need to till the bean, field pea, and corn patch really bad. Green sprigs of rhizome grass are coming up that weren't buried deep enough to rot.

Back
Top Bottom