Your 2024 Garden

Pics
I have sweet potatoes and onion plants ordered. Onions will be here later this month so this coming week an area in the garden will be prepared for them. A fence around it will be part of the prep or the chickens would help themselves to anything green. If they don't eat it they would scratch it out of the ground. I think they enjoy doing away with things they don't want to eat.

I’m planning to start leek and celery indoors this coming week. Probably just 6 cells of each with a few seeds in each cell to separate later. If I start with too many, I don’t have room for the later plantings! I am definitely not starting 50 tomatoes this year…just want 12 paste, 3 slicer and 5 cherry plants. Downsizing tomatoes to 1 row this year, lol.

that made me laugh.
IMG_20240216_210606477~2.jpg

I ordered a selection of yellow summer squash seed today including a vine type to grow on a trellis. Order a green ball shaped summer squash also. Ordered one package to try of a dual purpose cucumber. Early stage to pickle or later to slice. Normally pickling types get bitter when they get large enough to slice at least in the past they have for me. Guess now I need to get cattle panel trellis up for the squash. I'm planting a few tomatoes under the squash arbor for filtered sunlight to avoid sun scald on them. Worth a try. The onions I have order will be large enough and flat enough to make onion rings with. Now to find a way to fix them frozen so they can be brought back to life in a skillet of hot oil.

I ordered a selection of yellow summer squash seed today including a vine type to grow on a trellis. Order a green ball shaped summer squash also. Ordered one package to try of a dual purpose cucumber. Early stage to pickle or later to slice. Normally pickling types get bitter when they get large enough to slice at least in the past they have for me. Guess now I need to get cattle panel trellis up for the squash. I'm planting a few tomatoes under the squash arbor for filtered sunlight to avoid sun scald on them. Worth a try. The onions I have order will be large enough and flat enough to make onion rings with. Now to find a way to fix them frozen so they can be brought back to life in a skillet of hot oil.
I grew my Summer squash on stakes last year, with cloth wound around at the base to discourage borers. It worked pretty well, and I was thinking of trying a short cattle panel trellis this year.

Back
Top Bottom