Your 2024 Garden

Pics
I figured I would show the finished raised bed with Stock Flowers planted. Also planted a bunch of pea shoots I sprouted last week. Peas will be fine until last frost date, not so sure about Stock, first time for me, but from what I am reading, they can take a frost or two and prefer cold weather to give the best blooms.

Attachments

• 20240316_185839.jpg
    20240316_185839.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 2
https://www.greatgardenplants.com/p...MI1JGTxvb5hAMVFFNHAR3u0As4EAQYASABEgI5NfD_BwE

I ordered 4 of these, seven sons bush. They have white flowers in late summer, but are beautiful most of the year. I got them because honey bees love the flowers, and they bloom when there isn't much else in bloom.

The local bee club is selling trees for bees, but these sold out FAST and I was too late. I ordered some crabapple trees instead. More flowers for the bees can't be a bad thing.

I have fleece I use in early spring on newly planted vegetables, I think I will use it this upcoming week on the stock, we are getting the same cold spell you are getting.
Our forecast for two cold mornings next week keep getting lowered by a degree at a time. From 39° down to 32° now for Tuesday Morning. From 43° down to 37° on Wednesday morning. After that is looks good but it looked good a month ago too.

No frost forecast for us this week, though tomorrow overnight lows expected to be in the mid 30s.

I don't have the space/place to start seeds inside, but I was thinking of experimenting with a couple direct seeded tomato plants this year. On impulse I purchased tomato seeds (Ozark Pink) from Baker Creek, and could put a few in the ground, using row cover cloth on top.
:caf

We are under the freeze warning now that the low is a possible 31° tomorrow night. The bright side is Wednesday we can plant tomatoes and peppers. With enough sunshine maybe we can plant most everything but beans this week. I will not plant beans before mid April. The ground really needs to be warm for beans to sprout. I don't think the Sugar Snap pea seed I planted were still viable. I'm going to scratch around and see what I find and if they are rotten I'll use the trellis for KY Wonder pole beans.

Next Wednesday, I'll be making more pots in the green house for starting seeds. The potting soil I have is pretty dry, and it takes a while to get it damp and to warm it up. I figure I need 70-100 pots for all the stuff I want to start.

60 (at least!) tomatoes
5-10 peppers
A few luffa (I got ONE sponge from last year, so at least I know it's possible)
Some cucamelon (a friend sent me seeds, raved about them)

I have 8 pots that have been growing kale and spinach for oh, about 3 months...? and the plants are 2" tall. :tongue I might just plant them in the garden with some peas and reuse the pots. I also have 16 pots of flowers for bees, and I don't know when those might be ready to plant out.

Other than that... not sure what I have in the seed box. My goal is to plant 'mater and pepper seeds by April 1st.

Back
Top Bottom