Your Dogs thoughts on chickens ~ a poll

How does your dog(s) reaction to your poultry

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have a video around here somewhere of chick's under broody stealing bits off my English springers fresh butcher bone.

Had a BBQ and was flipping dog pieces of goodies as I cut up a brisket. Had one of the girls take it out of her mouth!

Dog just looked at me with a 'Do I seriously have to put up with crap like this out of a dang bird?!'

Did I mention I actively hunt upland birds and ducks with her? She's my favorite

Our two dogs have very different opinions for the chickens. Our 50 pound Australian Shepard was aggressive towards them in the beginning as she is to anything she doesn’t recognize. These days she’s scared of them particularly the rooster who has flogged her a couple of times. She does her best to ignore them but runs if she sees the rooster headed her way. The cavalier one the other hand tries to get them to play. He doesn’t try to hurt them just try’s to treat them like another dog. (He hasn’t encountered the rooster yet). The cavalier isn’t allowed off leash around them. But the Shepard is fine.

My dog ignores them but still protects them. I haven’t had a predator get my birds for years besides a hawk.
Edit: never posted a pic of my dog so here’s Buddy.
77A40587-F7B2-437C-B3A0-3B73A2D0D010.jpeg

Last edited:
My dog absolutely loves baby chicks. At every hatch she will stare at them for hours until she's sure that everyone is alright and nothing can happen to them. She does't like to have them roaming around her until they are a week old because she's worried to hurt them, but when they're older she stays with them around without problems.
20200508_124048.jpg

Look at that rascal look😂

With older ones it's different. When it's warmer outside she likes to sunbathe where the chickens freerange. She ignores them until they're too close: if they are she will go away. But she's also always ready to chase away stranger cats (usually my cat helps her😂) that stare at the chickens. She thinks the quails are forever-baby-chicks😆

(I know it's a dog thread but I'd like to add my cat, too😅) He cat likes to watch the chickens, but it's scared of the adults. He also learned that chickens and chicks mustn't be touched
IMG-20191225-WA0011.jpeg

He likes to see what's going on from the top of the coop

Last edited:
My male Great Pyrenees, Bentley, loves them. He cuddles up with them and protects them from all predators even aerial predators, and the cows lol.
My other young female pyr, Bailey, thinks they’re interactive squeaky chew toys and has killed a couple by accident.
My other adult female pyrenees , Chloe, is terrified of them and gets pushed around by them for food. My bantam rooster chased this 125 lb dog across the yard lol 😂.
My blue heeler Trixie won’t attack them unless I say “get it” and then it’s a feathery mess. Other than that she watches them but if I chase them, touch them or they make noises she gets interested. 21DCF5A3-F097-4E92-9193-95E05B42A617.jpeg
In order , Chloe, Trixie and Bailey^
(down) Chloe, Bentley and Bailey
A384FABE-2E4A-432A-B722-2630CDE2E71C.jpeg F0E318E2-0DB6-45BC-AE2F-CF517DB358C0.jpeg
^Bentley
2B3AE5C4-3DBE-4392-9433-C38C65B4531D.jpeg
Trixie^

My Akita has been together with a brute of a cockerel in the past. That thing would attack anything and I'm sure he must have gotten him good at times but bored dog + chickens meant he was constantly following it, provoking it to attack and then run away. His favorite game. He wasn't interested in the hens much since they left him alone. He's a clever boy, just had to tell him to leave them and he knew not to hurt them although I taught him to not harm any animals which he is very good at. My mate's Akita on the other hand would kill cats, chicks, rats, depends how they are raised.
I tested him with the cockerel first but by the end I was more worried the cock was going to hurt him more than the other way round!

Back
Top Bottom