Your duck pen....

afwifey

Songster
May 12, 2018
South Carolina
I left the ducks out for the first time last night even though the pen isn’t quite finished. The wire is all up and the house is put together. I have locks on the gate but we plan to add a pitched tarp (just temporary plastic cover right now) to the house side, I have a bigger pool, and I’m going to add more wire outside the doors of the house for more protection at night. What are your thoughts and suggestions for my set-up? Thanks!
527DD166-3044-46B5-9919-C7C65E51EF6B.jpeg

Just don't be late getting them into the house at night. We had our pair of ducks attacked by an owl shortly before official sunset time. One was eaten completely, the other survived with two puncture wounds, one on his back the other on his belly. Else put a top on the pen.

Additionally, consider how desperate your local predators might be. During the summer, my ducks, who can fly, are allowed to free range my 6ft privacy fenced backyard. In the winter, they are not allowed outside. The Redtail hawks in my area are not too brave, but I'm sure they would get more bold.when they are starving to death in winter. I also have an American Bulldog who wanders the yard to provide additional I.

Last edited:
This past winter, I used a flashlight from the house to check on my chickens at night. They used to have a prefab coop and I was always worried about them (before we got the hot wire too!) Now, they are pretty secure at night and my hubs has installed better security lights. So, I am not as paranoid as I was before. ;)

How are going to keep predators from climbing over your fence? I would never leave them outside over night they really are sitting ducks. Raccoons opossums mink weasel foxes coyote even dogs can break through or climb over fencing and that isn't even talking about owls that can fly in.

I am sorry I read your post that you left them outside of their pen last night :oops:

Looks like you have gotten some good advise.
I definitely lock them in but I do want to add the smaller gauge wire to the doors of the house. I buried that tiny gauge wire around the outside of the entire pen and even added it to the door so no large snakes could get in. I know nothing is 100% but I do love them and want them to be as safe as possible. I have been leaving my dogs out if I run errands as they will run off most anynpredetor and are protective of the ducks. The aviary netting is a good idea! I will definitely do something to make the top more secure. I really appreciate all of the advice. I’m a novice and this is why I asked the question! :) Below is the view from my bathroom window. I keep a flashlight there to check on them inside their house through the night.
FD3C542B-FC50-481F-8B26-55F1407240AC.jpeg

@awifey : I mean this with all good intentions. The security of your duck coop is paramount! Please take this from someone who has suffered the heartbreak of losing an entire flock to predators, and had only carnage left to clean up. It was a horrible, bloody scene, and I would NOT wish it on any person. Truly.
So sad gilbert2 - i'm sorry for the loss of your flock. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom